spare tire holder

mark corbitt

My new MJ project has the wench, tube,etc, bot the wire hanher has only a frayed end. I wenched it down and it seems to be long enough, but I need the piece on the end of the wire that holds up the spare when I crank it up. Anyone have one or a suggestion on a remedy?

24 minutes ago, mark corbitt said:

thanks for the advice, but  I would like an original one if anyone has one.

It has almost gotten to the point where you will have to rebuild your old winch or use the brackets and adapt one of the “big three’s” winches to the MJ bracket. I did that. 

37 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

It has almost gotten to the point where you will have to rebuild your old winch or use the brackets and adapt one of the “big three’s” winches to the MJ bracket. I did that. 

The winch works fine, I just need the piece that attaches to the cable that passes through the wheel and holds it up.

I think the piece that actually holds the tire/wheel assembly can be sourced from any vehicle with an under body tire mount, as others have said.  Understand that you want an original, hope you find one.

Bigger question (in my mind) is once you have that piece (original or not), how do retain it on the old cable?  First post says you have nothing but a frayed end.

36 minutes ago, kansashogan said:

Yea, I would be hesitant to put a new end on unless you have a way to crimp the piece that goes on the cable. I would hate to see it come off driving down the road.  I think I have a good one if you are interested.  Let me check tomorrow.

Please let me know, thanks.