1990 mj 2wd roller to 4wd, questions

So I have acquired a 1990 mj roller, no motor or tranny, factory 2wd, 4.0, automatic...from the reading I have done, any xj from 87-90 is plug and play? I'm looking to keep this truck as a nice daily driver, tires being 31 or 33 inch, so nothing huge....also, theres a hell of alot more 91+ cherokees out there, is the 91+ h.o. swap much harder to do?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

did they carefully remove the engine and trans?  or did they snip a bunch of vital wires and crush the fuel lines?
Not sure yet, it's still sitting at my friends house so I havent got a good look at it yet....he was going to ls swap it but I got him to trade me for my diesel swap...lol

what you have now will surely dictate the easiest course of action. :L:   the HO swap is pretty straightforward.  remove everything from MJ, install everything from XJ.  there are some hiccups, but nothing that hasn't been tackled many times before.  :comanche:

what you have now will surely dictate the easiest course of action. :L:   the HO swap is pretty straightforward.  remove everything from MJ, install everything from XJ.  there are some hiccups, but nothing that hasn't been tackled many times before.  :comanche:
I kinda leaning towards just sticking with a renix swap since I'm just after a reliable daily driver comanche.....my yj is my wheelin rig

arguably the HO harness is more reliable since it includes scores of updates and upgrades over the AMC wiring harness. 

But the first step is seeing what you've got to work with. :L:  keep us posted

arguably the HO harness is more reliable since it includes scores of updates and upgrades over the AMC wiring harness. 

Hopefully it will be home in a couple weeks, so I can take a better look at what is what...engine harness, starter harness and computer swaps are easy enough if its mostly plug and play, it the dash harness stuff I don't like dealing with, especially if you have to repin for gauges and such....that's what I'm trying to stay away from

8 hours ago, JrMJ89 said:

I los have an 89 and want to do 4wd swap

there are scores upon scores of project threads to peruse in the projects forum :L:  the key is to identify what you want to do with the truck and work backwards to figure out what parts you'll need to do that.  :D 

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrow I meet a guy to look at a 1990 xj, 4.0, auto, 4x4, 3.5" lift, 31s...its soul purpose is to be a donor for the comanche.....nd no it's not at the house yet, it's still at my buddy's place...lol

• 1 month later...

So....I have been driving the 1990 xj for a bit now, 4.0, auto, 4wd...like I said before, its soul purpose is for the comanche....it also has a 3.5" lift that will be going on the comanche as well....runs reliably, but runs rough, I'll do some maintaining once i do the swap...

3 hours ago, jjpeters4 said:

So....I have been driving the 1990 xj for a bit now, 4.0, auto, 4wd...like I said before, its soul purpose is for the comanche....it also has a 3.5" lift that will be going on the comanche as well....runs reliably, but runs rough, I'll do some maintaining once i do the swap...

The leaf springs in the rear will not work in the MJ. They are different lengths. 

The leaf springs in the rear will not work in the MJ. They are different lengths. 
Yeah I know, it just has an add a leaf in the rear, from what I have read it will only give the comanche a couple inches of lift, I can always put on some shackles if I have to...

1 hour ago, jjpeters4 said:

Yeah I know, it just has an add a leaf in the rear, from what I have read it will only give the comanche a couple inches of lift, I can always put on some shackles if I have to...

:L:

On 8/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, Pete M said:

Agree. HO is more work but done right is a killer setup for a daily.  

On 8/2/2019 at 9:16 AM, Pete M said:

Having just torn an 89 harness apart for my LS build and then abandoning it in favor of an HO harness - I can vouch for the fact that the HO harness is far superior. Fewer connections and splices. Better quality connectors. Less complicated.

The comanche has no ecu, and no engine harness, tcu is still there, I plan on using the xj's engine harness. Looks like everything was unplugged so it should make it easier...the paint on this thing is horrible, it's original color was dark grey, over all it's a decent truck...

well having done a 4wd conversion. its pretty straight forward. everything just swaps over. the only issue you will have mechanically is the rear driveshaft. the 2wd and 4x4 shafts are different length. shifter spot in the floor is just a cover plate. so you can just put in the shifter from the xj. i loved when i did mine. i thought it was goining to be this huge pain. but it turns out jeep just had one body for both 2wd and 4wd. all the bolt hols were there and threaded for the skid plates too. by far one of the easiest swaps i have ever done.