how to replace a 7.5 ton crankshaft

mjeff87

We've only cruised RCL.  Phenomenal engineering regardless of the line:beerchug:

We have a V-16 CAT diesel generator at my work, probably a larger engine than that.  But it's in its own enclosed building.......to service it like that would likely mean cutting away half the structure just to get access to it.  I'm highly impressed by the way the crew on that boat was able to get the old/new crank in and out.

Zaandam is 61000 tons of displacement.  About the same as the Midway museum in San Diego bay.

New Ford class carriers are just over 100000 tons displacement.

But the largest cruise ships now top out at 225000 tons displacement.

Don't know if any oil super tanker are larger.

When I worked for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines I was on the Majesty of the Seas, which at the time was the newest, largest cruise ship in the industry. 900ft long, 13 stories high, 2500 passengers, 800+ crew......just amazing. I remember leaving a port (but can't remember which one) where an aircraft carrier was anchored just past the channel where the cruise ships docked. I was on the top deck mingling with passengers and the Majesty felt SMALL as we sailed past it several hundred yards away. THAT was surreal.