skid plate = speedometer stability

I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but my speedometer would constantly, rapidly fluctuate across about a 10 mph range ever since I got my commanche a year ago. I installed a front skid plate (http://teamcherokee.com/front-sway-bar-skid-plate-oem-jeep-cherokee-1984-2001/) on it last night, and the speedomoter is now completely stable even going down the highway. It's a nice little improvement care of dumb luck.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

How did you source all the bolts?

Home depot / already had. The bolts for the side holes are 3/8, and the bolts for the front of the skid plate mount were already on the truck. Note, they were metric (M8), so I had to get the nuts at Home Depot.

53 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Hmm. Ok. I have a plate I need to install but only have one side mount screws. Thanks for that!

For mine, the pre-existing holes in the frame lined up exactly with the plate mount holes. I'll take some pictures in case it's helpful.

17 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

That would be mighty helpful please!

There were three bolts already coming down on the front of the frame, so if you have these, slide the front of the skid plate mount right on those. Two were offset a bit from the third, so slide the plate on so it’s centered on the truck. From there, swing the back of the plate up towards the engine, and the side mount holes will line right up with holes in the frame. My side mounts arrived a little bent inward so I bent them out to make them align.

15667D2E-CEE0-4C73-BB40-581D0B3172D0.jpeg

6D3D2B02-8EA7-4C45-B7AC-533BDEF8672A.jpeg

ADAA715A-90D1-47AB-B7FC-0370523EB1AE.jpeg

20 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

It must be the air flow is different now and the cable isn't being buffeted.  You should probably zip tie the cable down better anyways.

But, hey, a fix is a fix:L:

Good call. I’ll try to figure this out.