1986 97+ trans crossmember mounts.

Hello all, I’m new to the Comanche cluband am building my first MJ. I have a 98 XJ that I wheeled and drove since 2003. I recently totaled it and picked up a 1986 MJ for $600. Replacing the floor pan now, I plan on doing a Rusty’s long arm as well as swap the 4.0 and AW4 from the XJ.  The MJ had a 2.8 with a manual, not sure if I need to cut the cross member mounts off the unibody for clearance with the trans or fitment with the long arm crossmember.  Has anybody ran into this before on one of these awesome Jeeps? I really have been getting a lot out of all the experience posted on this forum. Cheers!

the trans will fit just fine. :L:    Not sure what Rusty's longarm lift requires though.  The firewall might need some mods to fit the late model XJ's stuff, but that depends on how much of the XJ's stuff you're swapping.  there are a few swap threads in the link in my sig.  :L:  

and welcome to the addiction :waving: 

Depending on when you’re ‘86 was built, there are a few goofy early ‘86 anomalies that you might run into. The firewall might be a slightly different shape that won’t allow enough clearance for the 4.0. The frame rail under the firewall might not have  the hole on the outside to get to the upper control arm hardware making you take the bolts out from underneath... which can be a pain depending on if the drivetrain is in or not. Then there’s the crossmember where it bolts to the frame. Yours might not be in the right spot. Easy enough to drill holes where they need to be and weld a nut in or use riv-nuts or nutserts (or whatever the world is calling them these days). 

Good luck!

Thanks fellas.  I’ve been addicted to Jeeps since 2000 when I started at the Jeep dealer.   All the holes are there and threaded, and seem to be in the right places compared to the XJ.  from all the pics I can find it looks like I can leave em.   With the drivers floor out it would be real easy to cut the left one out.  I guess I’ll just have to by the long arm kit and start fettering.  

Edited by MJEspi
More info

I favor Clayton's longarm kit. I've met and wheeled with Clayton, so I know his engineering is both solid and based on his own real world experience, and I've seen his kit being installed and I know it's good quality kit.

Thanks fellas.  I’ve been addicted to Jeeps since 2000 when I started at the Jeep dealer.   All the holes are there and threaded, from all the pics I can find it looks like I can leave em.   With the drivers floor out it would be real easy to cut the left one out.  I guess I’ll just have to by the long arm kit and start fettering.