Power Steering Add

Hey all,

First post on here! I picked up an '88 Base model 2WD as a project truck

As of now, it has the 2.5L 4 banger, 5-speed, and manual steering 

I've been looking into how to swap the manual steering for power. From what I understand, this is the list of parts I need to do this...

- Gear box,

- Pump and pulley,

- Reservoir

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these can be sourced from an XJ?

Thanks in advance

-Chris

9 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Wiring?

I don't think he needs it, even if the 2.5L has a load compensating sensor. :dunno:

I don't know how essential the High Pressure sensor is to the operation of the RENIX system.

Here's a diagram of what you'll need:

1651550791_2.5Lpowersteering.png.0bfb275a118ca0171043f3084e45a9f7.png

Number 23 is the High pressure sensor.

The wiring for that little sensor may very well be on the harness already. I can't imagine it being essential but it probably helps.

Idle-up is total BS (wiring), those who have don't know they have it because it doesn't work anyway. 

You need two parts specific to the Renix 2.5, the bracket with adjuster and the pulley. Everything else can be overcome with parts from other Jeeps. Box from ZJ and pump from WJ for example. WJ pump will have it own reservoir. 

You find the bracket and pulley and we'll help you from there. 

Run a want ad. 

There was or is a couple of guys with parts engines............wake these guys up and let them know you need parts. 

On my 87 when I converted to power steering, the idle up wire connector was already there and I just plugged it in and it worked. My biggest issue when I did it was finding the correct pulley for the pump, and the resevior. The pulley I found at the dealer under restoration parts, but the res was no longer available. I made one work from a Dodge Journey. Has the same size hose connections, all I had to do was figure out how to mount it.