Home Electrical issue

Dzimm

I tried to read the amp rating on 220 circuits but could not get them to come in clearly. One looks to be 20 amp. That might have been for a window air conditioner. Look for a 220v outlet by a window. The disconnected cable in lower right panel has a red conductor, a second hot. It also has the same insulation the stove circuit does. It may be the original stove circuit. Your house may originally have had separate oven and cooktop burners. That can be considered later; still in discovery mode for now.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Dzimm said:

No I'm still at work, it's kinda slow tonight.  Won't be home until the AM.   Neutral and ground bars are connected in both the main and sub panel.  Issue for another day in the sub panel.

In your sub panel make sure you unbond the ground and the neutral. In any sub panel they need to be separate if you don’t already know.

8 hours ago, Manche757 said:

When you are home and have time, turn off all breakers. Test from kitchen outlet box to the same water pipe you used before. Should get no power. Then turn on one breaker at a time and retest at same box to water pipe. If no power, leave breaker on and turn on next breaker. Continue on. If you get power at any time, turn off that breaker and test rest of breakers. Hopefully, this will isolate the problem circuit(s). 

Done with this test.  Same problem circuits minus 1.  

Circuit 2 box to pipes:

Breaker 22(circuit 1) = 0.2v

Breaker 20 = 0.3v

Breaker 18 = 0.1v

Breaker 14(circuit 2) = 2.1v

For fun I tried circuit 1 box to pipes as well:

Breaker 22(circuit 1) = 4.8v

Breaker 20 = 0.2v

Breaker 18 = 0.9v

Breaker 14 = 1.0v

This agreed with previous testing that circuit 1 and 2 are the biggest issue but 20 and 18 also have an issue.

5 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Turn off all breakers.  Test 1 alone.    Turn it off   Test 2

Circuit 1 on:

1 box to pipes is 4.5v

2 box to pipes is 0.2v

Circuit 2 on: 

1 box to pipes 0.5v

2 box to pipes is 2.2v

2 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

So I found a light that stays illuminated for a few seconds after the switch is off so I pulled the fixture down and found this.. Backyard Bubba was definitely here.

IMG_20190619_113814.jpg

That's quite a picture.  Is that light hooked to two switches?    Do you have more than two switches for any light in your house?  If so, you would have 2 way and 4 way switches for that light.

Just now, Manche757 said:

That's quite a picture.  Is that light hooked to two switches?    Do you have more than two switches for any light in your house?  If so, you would have 2 way and 4 way switches for that light.

This light has 3 switches.  One of the runs appears to be stranded wire too

2 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

You many have more than one circuit leaking hot to ground but you have made progress.  Circuit 1 looks like the most corrupted.  Is that the one that the dishwasher is hooked to?

Circuit 2 is the dishwasher and all the crap under the sink.  Circuit one appears to only be 3 outlets, which are all pulled out of the wall.  

You probably have outlets in more than one room for circuits.  That is so if one trips you don't lose all power in that room.  The next step is to find that out.  Turn off all breakers except 1.  Go with your tester to other rooms and test hot slot to neutral slot to find others on circuit 1

25 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

You probably have outlets in more than one room for circuits.  That is so if one trips you don't lose all power in that room.  The next step is to find that out.  Turn off all breakers except 1.  Go with your tester to other rooms and test hot slot to neutral slot to find others on circuit 1

I didn't find anything else on circuit 1.  Just 3 kitchen outlets.

1 minute ago, Manche757 said:

No lights, fans ect, worked with just that breaker on?

Nothing that I could find or saw.  I suppose maybe power to the waterheater or furnace could be tied to it but I don't really know.

3 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Turn on heat and see if it comes on.  I assume you have a gas furnace with electrical controls

It's running now with circuit 1 off so it's not tied

12 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Only circuit 1 should be on.   Did you turn others on and 1 off?

I turned some stuff back on and with 1 off the furnace was on so the furnace isn't tied to circuit 1.

Ive been pulling some stuff out just to check everything and found this switch for the kitchen lights on 3 switches.  Isn't the red supposed to be on the side with hot?

IMG_20190619_125132.jpg

Red is hot and black is hot also.  You have two places to turn that light on and off?  Two way switches flip between two hot lines between the switches; only one is hot at the time.  3 way switches are easy to wire wrong.  If they worked before, let's assume they are wired ok.  The white wire is probably  the "load" line to the light.  Wrap a piece of black electrical tape around the white wire an inch or so from the screw.  It indicates you are using a white wire for hot for the next person that works on it