1986 Comanche Metric Ton Factory Turbo Diesel & 1989 Comanche Pioneer

terrawombat

I really, really don't want to do this, but I think it's for the best.  I recently lost my job and the town I live in has been putting a lot of pressure on me to thin my herd.  As a result, I need to part with two more of my Comanche's.  Fortunately, for the potential buyer, I have a couple of very rare examples.

1986 Jeep Comanche

2.1L Factory Renault Turbo-diesel

AX5 5-speed manual transmission

AMC20 Rear End

D30 Front End

Long Bed

Factory Metric Ton Package

Condition: There is no way to sugarcoat it - this truck is rough all around.  It runs and drives, but I wouldn't trust it more than the 1/4 mile stretch down my street.  There is rust and rot all over the floorpans - by far the worst I have ever seen on a Comanche.  The interior is gutted and in awful shape.  I have all of the pieces to put it together, but an interior swap is probably a better idea.  The injection pump is newer (likely a rebuilt unit), but I don't think it's right for the application.  It gets the engine running and idling, but I can't seem to get it timed properly.  I have a ton of parts that I have spent years souring from overseas - OEM fuel injectors, OEM glow plugs, OEM rockets, gasket kits, water pump, alternator and more.  I have spent over a thousand dollars in obtaining these parts with the thought that they might never be available again.  I would frequently browse eBay looking for NOS parts and would buy them if they popped up...even if I didn't need them.  Everything I have for this truck is included in the sale.  I have a clear title for this truck ready to be signed over to the new owner.

1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer

4.0L Inline-6

AX15 5-speed manual transmission

D44 Rear End

D30 Front End

Long Bed

107K miles

Condition: I bought this truck to be a donor to the diesel MJ because the body is in great condition.  I do not have a title for this truck and I don't believe I can get one so I figured that it was best to use it as a donor.  The truck runs and drives, but needs a clutch master cylinder, exhaust and power steering line.  I just threw a new battery in it tonight and it fired it up for the first time in 3 years.  You may be able to apply for a title on the truck, but I never tried.  I have the last registration that was applied for by the PO,  but he has passed away and his brother sold me the truck and didn't know where the title was.

I'd prefer to sell both Comanche's as a package.  My asking price is $5000 OBO for both.  I will also consider a trade for a longbed Comanche that is running & driving.

Photos to follow.

Thanks bud.  I start a new job tomorrow so it's not too bad on that front. 

As for the town I live in they basically adopted a new ordinance because of me and another fellow car collector.  Any motor vehicle within eyesight has to be registered.  In Maryland, if your vehicle is registered, but not insured the state will fine you for every day you don't carry insurance on your registered vehicle.  I once had to pay over $150 in fines on a motorcycle I sold and took off my insurance policy, but didn't turn the plates in until a month later.  I wasn't aware that physically turning in  your plates was required in MD.  In NJ I always just kept my old plates.  Live, learn, and pay your fines.  I just can't justify paying for registration and insurance on two vehicles that won't see the road for a few more years...

I've got a plan on how I can keep both of these MJs, but it's going to require that some of my other junk gets sold off first.  Then I can shuffle the MJs around and get them in my shop and out of eyesight, but I don't know if that will happen in the allotted time frame the town has given me to address my "violation," so I'm going to give a go and see if anyone wants to take them off my hands.

40 minutes ago, Pete M said:

are those tarp canopies/garage thingies legal in your are?  :brows:

Nope.  Any structure intended for the purpose of covering or housing something must be permanent, so I'd have to install footings for the thing and make sure it wouldn't blow away in a hurricane.  In order to do that, I'd need a permit, which would likely be denied.  They're finally starting to get their act together in the town office.  Honestly, good for them as it'll help clean the town up and hopefully raise my home value :banana:

• 3 weeks later...

I got rid of an XJ on my property a couple weeks ago and struck a deal with the town.  They are giving me an additional 20 days to get rid of one of my two Comanche's unless I get it registered and insured.  Turns out that if I spend $51/year for a historic registration (which both qualify for in MD for being over 20 years old) and I insure it through Progressive using the bare minimum coverage (since neither are road worthy anyway) I wind up saving $12/month on my coverage because of a multi-vehicle policy!  So in the course of a year, I will have saved $93.  I never even bothered to do this math as I assumed registering and insuring a vehicle that wasn't road worthy would just be a waste of money.  Turns out, I actually save money on this deal.  So I guess I owe the town a thank you....

In any event, these vehicles are no longer for sale.  They save me money just by keeping them around....never would have guessed.

10 hours ago, terrawombat said:

I got rid of an XJ on my property a couple weeks ago and struck a deal with the town.  They are giving me an additional 20 days to get rid of one of my two Comanche's unless I get it registered and insured.  Turns out that if I spend $51/year for a historic registration (which both qualify for in MD for being over 20 years old) and I insure it through Progressive using the bare minimum coverage (since neither are road worthy anyway) I wind up saving $12/month on my coverage because of a multi-vehicle policy!  So in the course of a year, I will have saved $93.  I never even bothered to do this math as I assumed registering and insuring a vehicle that wasn't road worthy would just be a waste of money.  Turns out, I actually save money on this deal.  So I guess I owe the town a thank you....

In any event, these vehicles are no longer for sale.  They save me money just by keeping them around....never would have guessed.

Glad u get chance to keep it. :L:

Archived