Holy Footcandles, Batman!

I'm still using the convention 6054 headlamps. Playing musical bulbs and I noticed a Sylvania lens marking I didn't recognize. It said "Sylvania Performance" rather than XTRAVISION or SilverStar. So I contacted Sylvania to ask what it is. I also noticed, in looking on their site, that they no longer provide estimated lamp life data, so I also asked about that.

Just got my answers. They now use the same lens for the XtraVision and the SilverStar. The real shocker was in the lamp life. I knew the SilverStars were less than the XtraVisions, but I didn't realize by how much.

The average estimated life hours for the H6054 are as follows:

Basic 320
XtraVision 850
SilverStar 100

The Basic is their OEM replacement, and that's what's sold at Walmart. They are 35/35 watts (high beam and low beam). Both XtraVisions and SilverStatrs are 55/55 watt, but the Silverstar has a slightly higher color temperature (whiter light) and supposedly puts out a bit more light. But that extra light comes at a price. If the OEMs are rated for 320 hours, the XtraVisions last (on average) 2.7 times as long. I like that. But, for about the same price as the XtraVisions and the same wattage, the SilverStars last less than one-third as long as OEM headlights.

I think I'll stick with the XtraVisions.

I also just realized that the price for the SilverStars is NOT about the same as the XtraVisions. XtraVision is $16.99 at my local parts emporium, and the SilverStar is $25.99. Wattage is the same for both. So, let's see: $16.99 for a headlamp that lasts almost three times longer than OEM, or $25.99 for a headlamp that lasts 1/3 as long as the OEM?

Hmmm ... gotta cogitate on that one.

Yep.  I researched this a while back and had similar thoughts.  The Xtravisions are a decent compromise of brighter light and OK life.  Silverstars are a ripoff.

While I haven't done this lately, I used to roam the junkyards looking for XJ headlights marked "Sylvania Performance".  Then pull the light, and there is an ink stamped part number on it.  Prefix "XV"= Xtravsion, prefix "SS"= Silverstar.  Old sealed beam headlights are usually dirt cheap at the junkyard, and I have a 3-4 extra Xtravisions for my XJ and MJ.

24 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

I've had mine for 6 years.........not a drop. 

Me too. Love them, ordered another set within a month of owning just in case something ever happened. They were a tight fit in one of the header panels though. Late model xj vs box style I can't remember which.