Propane tank experts?

gogmorgo

I've got an older-looking propane tank. My roommate got it last fall and it's full, but I don't have a clue how to hook it up to our barbecue. The fitting on it doesn't look like a typical one to me. 

p2zvsdF.jpg

OzYuoL4.jpg

Its got a tapered seat inside it, but the inner bore is smooth. The external threads are left-handed. 

I figued it would be the older style male POL but I've got an adapter with female POL threads (for running barbecues off 1-lb throwaway tanks) and that won't go on past 1 turn, so clearly that's not it.

The date code on the tank is 12-09, so I'm not really anticipating getting a ton more use out of it given I can't get it filled after this winter, but it'll save me a bit if I can get an adapter for the tank, so long as it doesn't cost more than a refill (~$25 locally)

Neat.  Should be a "B" type fitting for torch (acetylene), or that would be my guess.  Somebody was using that for oxy-propane cutting and heating.

Not sure what a fitting to adapt that to POL would cost, but probably the same as it is to fill the tank.

It’s not a B or a MC style fitting. Looks like an old airco style fitting. They make an adapter for them they look like a hex barrel, one end screws onto the tank and your regulator screws into the other side. I probably have one in the toolbox. 

I'll have to talk to our welder at work then. 

So far we've been raiding the throwaway bottle bin at one of the local campgrounds for 1-lbs that aren't empty. Even if I could figure out a way to get the propane into those, that wouldn't be terrible.

We touched briefly on oxy-propane in the short welding class we took in school, but the gist of it was no one does it... but you really never know what's floating around in a government shop. Just the other day I encountered someone throwing out a mechanical tool for measuring air humidity. It looked cool as all hell until it landed upside down and crushed itself under the weight of its own base. 

That's an old style tank.  They were phased out approx. 20 yrs ago (i.e. made illegal).  Newer tanks have triangular valve handles.  Yours has the old style circular valve handle.  Most fittings now conform to the newer style tanks.  You will have to find the old style hoses.

Good luck.

Well the barbecue being hooked up to it is at least that old as well. Funny that a tank made illegal that long ago is still certified until the end of the year when they're only good for ten years. 

What's funnier is I'm pretty sure my roommate had it filled last fall... I didn't remember it being full, but I do remember having a convo about the date stamp on it. He's been away for a bit so I'll ask when he gets back where/if he got it filled, because if they did fill it, they clearly have the correct adapters.