Are you Happy with your lift?

Hi,

Ive an 1988 MJ short bed. I also have an XJ that came with the MJ. The MJ has no lift but the XJ has a 6.5" lift with new steering, longer control arms, and everything up front to accommodate the lift. All new Bilstein shocks. T-case 1" drop. It seems to have a proper setup. The tires are dangerously bald with holes in the steel belt. the guy was going to use everything off the XJ and transfer it over to the MJ. So my question is how many of you that have a lift 6-6.5" are happy? I want to run 33's. Ive been looking at others photo's and I think I will be happy with 33's. Its pretty much all Ive ever ran and have been more than pleased. Do you think I will be happy with this lift? Yes hard one to answer but I see it as when someone asks you if you are happy with a certain snow tire. And if you think they would be happy using that same snow tire. I like Nokians. lol.... :)

That completely depends on how old the lift is, what brand it is, and what kind of shape it's in overall.  I have a 4.5" Rusty's lift that I'm happy with.  It's gets a little bouncy on the highway at speed due to the stiffer springs and the uneven pavement (feels like mini dirt track whoops on really uneven pavement) but it's very minor and as expected from stiffer springs.

Problems you have right off the bat, the rear leaves won't work on the MJ as the XJ leaves are too short.  Rear shocks will also be different.   You also shouldn't need the tcase drop since the MJ is longer.  At most you'll need axle shims.

Good news is that everything up front will transfer over.

I like my lift but its kind of a mix of parts. I have rusty's 4.5" coils and like stated above it gets bouncy. I have an aluminum 1.5" coil spacer on top, adjustable short arms and drop brackets. SO far so good. I have enjoyed it

I pieced mine together. Rubicon Express 5.5 springs, RRO control arm drop brackets, Bilstein shocks, Core 4x4 upper and lower adjustable control arms and track bear. I wanted it to ride more like stock so I insisted I get the drop brackets as long as it stays short arm. Its not exactly like stock, but its not bad or loosey goosey like a bunch of others (Wranglers) Ive ridden in. Not that it means much now that youve sold the XJ  :)

21 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

I pieced mine together. Rubicon Express 5.5 springs, RRO control arm drop brackets, Bilstein shocks, Core 4x4 upper and lower adjustable control arms and track bear

I always heard to steer clear of track bears.  They are apparently a lot of work to own and quite dangerous... 

:peep: