Comanche Bed Trailers

krustyballer16

I know it's been started before, I posted once but can't find my old post, let's see some bed trailers.

I've currently got 3 short bed rear frame sections and a few beds I can use to make trailers.

I'm not sure how I want to make the tongues for them so I'm looking for ideas and pics of how others have done them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What size tube is that? 3x4?

And what did you say not to do with that adjustable height connector? It sits too high or too low?

I forgot about that. I was just gonna put a 2" ball connector on and be done. Height adjustments would be made with lifting it to match the truck or a drop hitch

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

yes, 3x4.

the hitch height is really only an issue because the Liberty has a super low hitch plus that spare tire is in the way.  :doh:  Just make sure the hitch is at a normal height and that the front of the trailer has enough weight on it for safe towing when empty. :L:  Oh, and check your local rules for custom trailer building if you haven't yet.  Not all states allow home-built trailers to be registered and you're likely going to want that official "vin" number to sell it. 

• 4 weeks later...

So this is how the first one turned out...I like it gotta mount the jack on it and cap the front of the frame and figure out some gussets. Gonna make it so I'm able to bolt a tongue box on it.

The tongue weighs about 220 pounds. Sticks out about 46" from the bed. and with 235s and stock 30 year old springs and shocks, the couple sits at about 22" off the ground. (But height all depends on your tires and springs).

And@thedude is having me build a lwb version next. Going to pick up the white bed and frame Thursday.

We'll see how much this one levels out the weight.
The swb is kinda heavy to pick up and turn...

I havent looked into registering it yet.

Any input is welcome.062b743c629ff827532e6e71175d40ab.jpg714088be19dbabdb05149faba4394f92.jpg0dbb6d01f039f8a05b7bcdc65fbbcae7.jpg845df8821f443662174bc8e5095d87e1.jpg3c0624c9468d4440a9071b4779a5a17c.jpg769a63591d93622cb977552fb6d7e28b.jpg6ad21158ded13dc4fb21c01d51426f2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

how heavy is the front when you try and pick it up?  removing the rollbars will lighten that and adding a tailgate on the backend will lighten it still.  make sure it's not under ~15% of the overall weight. :L:   (the box will help of course)

how heavy is the front when you try and pick it up?  removing the rollbars will lighten that and adding a tailgate on the backend will lighten it still.  make sure it's not under ~15% of the overall weight. :L:   (the box will help of course)
I havent messed with it since I took the rollbar out. And ya, I plan to throw enough weight on the rear to simulate a bumper.

But when I did pick it up the first time, it felt heavier when I tried to turn it than my 18' wood deck feels...

So with the roll bar out, it's A LOT lighter. Even with a low tire, I could still pull it around my shop fairly easily. So thats good. And with the tongue sitting on the jack, level, I can stand on the end of the bed by the tailgate and it doesnt wanna flip back on me...

But another question....
The frame on this is spotless, and the other frames I have are pretty clean too, so that's not the deal really, but if I build these other 2 (or 3) they're gonna have 30 year old axles and springs and possibly shocks (or cheapest shocks I can find) on them. And beds, as we all know, are rare to find in great shape anymore for cheap. Especially around Indiana. So all the beds I have need some work.

So what would everybody pay for a complete, ok shape bed trailer? Old stock springs and axle and a bed rhat needs some love, but good frame and new tongue?

If someone wanted me to go ahead and put new springs and shocks under it and fix the bed I would, for extra. I'm just trying to get a baseline to see if they're even worth building to sell...

Thanks. Any input is appreciated

Theres a guy locally who's had an MJ bed trailer for sale for almost a year, hasn't come down on the price at all, and won't just part it out. Wants $700 and the bed is perfect.
I wouldnt go any less than that either I wouldnt think (with cost of bed and materials and time)

I mean I agree to an extent, but I should clarify: it's ready to be a trailer, its sitting with the frame rails lobbed off where they meet the cab frame. I mean if I were in his position I'd be holding out too, but I kinda hope he drops the price so it sells vs. potentially getting fed up with no offers and just sending a perfectly good bed off for scrap.

I mean I agree to an extent, but I should clarify: it's ready to be a trailer, its sitting with the frame rails lobbed off where they meet the cab frame. I mean if I were in his position I'd be holding out too, but I kinda hope he drops the price so it sells vs. potentially getting fed up with no offers and just sending a perfectly good bed off for scrap.
O, so it's just a bed and frame. No tongue. Ok, that's a little high. Unless the bed and gate and lights are 9/10.

2 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

O, so it's just a bed and frame. No tongue. Ok, that's a little high. Unless the bed and gate and lights are 9/10.

Their fair, he smashed in a bit of the frame cross member, and a few rust holes in the bed, and no tailgate hardware.

Edit: Damn, he dropped the price apparently, $400.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/d/saint-petersburg-jeep-comanche-truck-bed/6839670119.html

1 minute ago, krustyballer16 said:

That's don't smashed. Thsts the tranny tunnel.

And thats a fair price. It's not a $700 bed.

Buy it!

Lmfao, shows what I know, and with the wood block there I was like "Dang how long has that been sitting! I have no room, or need for it unfortunately, and I'm literally, the worlds worst welder.

Lmfao, shows what I know, and with the wood block there I was like "Dang how long has that been sitting! I have no room, or need for it unfortunately, and I'm literally, the worlds worst welder.
That is a Renault racing edition I'm told...

You're the one that travels the country, how about you get it, fix it up, and bring it out to CA for me to purchase?    :peep:
I will actually be in Florida in about 4 weeks. But no way to haul it back. And I'm not going back to cali til next year and I'm definitely flying there this time! Lol