Windshield Wiper Trouble

Hey all, I have been having some problems with the wipers on my MJ. They seem to not want to stop at the end of their motion and are smacking against the cowel. It's kind of annoying and I would like to correct the problem. Has anyone has a similar problem and what all is involved in fixing it? Thanks.

I've tried that and it's not the problem. Maybe my question wasn't clear, but it's almost like some sort of stopper in the wiper motor isn't working and allows the wiper arm to keep going until smacking the cowel tells it to stop. Any other input?

Underneath the dash on the drivers side is a small plastic box that has wires going in one end and wires coming out the other. It is usually attached to the Jeep with velcro. This is the wiper control module. Replacing it exorcized (sp?) the demons in the psychotic wipers of my 90.

Underneath the dash on the drivers side is a small plastic box that has wires going in one end and wires coming out the other. It is usually attached to the Jeep with velcro. This is the wiper control module. Replacing it exorcized (sp?) the demons in the psychotic wipers of my 90.

Ditto, Thanks to Pete.

I had the same problem with mine. I replaced the whole thing with one from ebay, no more wiper problems. :D

It must be something with the worn bushings. There is a guy on ebay that sells rebuilt ones, but charges around $40.

I've already replaced the wiper control module so I don't think that is the problem. What about these bushings? Where in the wiper motor are they located and how do you get to them?

They are on the linkage, inside the cowel behind the hood. You have to first remove the cowel, then remove the wiper motor and it comes out through the cowel opening. On it you'll see three white nylon bushings. Those are the culprits.

The replacements are readily available in the HELP! line of goodies at all the parts stores, but they aren't listed correctly. Ignore everything they say about year and makes and models. You need HELP! part number 49445. The kit will include six bushings, three each of two types. You need the smaller white ones. The larger milky-colored ones? God only knows what they fit.

Squirt a bit of white lithium grease into each bushing before you press it onto the ball stud on the linkage -- they'll last longer.

I've already replaced the wiper control module so I don't think that is the problem. What about these bushings? Where in the wiper motor are they located and how do you get to them?

They are on the linkage, inside the cowel behind the hood. You have to first remove the cowel, then remove the wiper motor and it comes out through the cowel opening. On it you'll see three white nylon bushings. Those are the culprits.

The replacements are readily available in the HELP! line of goodies at all the parts stores, but they aren't listed correctly. Ignore everything they say about year and makes and models. You need HELP! part number 49445. The kit will include six bushings, three each of two types. You need the smaller white ones. The larger milky-colored ones? God only knows what they fit.

Squirt a bit of white lithium grease into each bushing before you press it onto the ball stud on the linkage -- they'll last longer.

X2. The grease and a small vise are used to easily press the new bushings on. One other thing, I had a heck of a time getting the wiper motor and linkage back into the cavity, probably because I'm a tard in some things. It comes out only one way, and goes back in the same way. Pay close attention when wriggling the assembly out.