How to get rid of the CAD?

How do I get rid of the CAD on my front diff Dana 30? Is there any aftermarket axle shafts that are one piece that will work? I can fab a plate to cover the hole in the axle tube. Will a TJ axle shaft work or are they CAD to? By the way it a 86 Comanche 2.5 904 4x4. Thanks :?:

I have seen it done on YJ’s and XJ’s. I was given a set of Dana 30 TJ shafts and plan on putting them in my MJ. They use the larger 44 u-joints so you need to get the outer stub shaft also and you may need to replace some seals. The unit baring should be the same. I will be doing mine in the next month if you want to hold out and see if it works.

All TJs use a one-piece shaft on the right side. YJs used the disconnect. XJs with Selec-Trac (the 242 transfer case) and from 1991 and newer are also one piece shafts. You can use any of them, but only the newer ones have the larger u-joints.

The disconnect has a seal at the disconnect, which you have to remove. You will probably find that the differential housing on the right side isn't machined to accept a stock seal. If you do enough searching on the Internet (try NAXJA first, I think), there are rumours of various seals that can be made to work. One NAXJA guy pulled his carrier and used a Dremel to machine the right side to accept a stock seal.

The shafts are the easy part -- lots of choices, and you don't need to go for expensive aftermarket stuff. The tough part is getting the seal worked out.

I Dremeled mine and used a factory driver's side seal, but there are rumors of other seals that will fit without machining.

Either way you still have to pull both axles and the carrier to install the seal. Use TJ, ABS equipped XJ, or non NP249 ZJ shafts for the big u-joints.

OK lets see if I understand this.

1- I can use a axle shaft from a TJ ( inner an outer shaft)

2- That will give me the bigger u joints for the passenger side but what about the driver side joint? will the dr. side axle shaft from a TJ work in mine? To get the bigger u joint?

3- I have to pull the entire front diff apart to fab up some kind of inset for the pass side axle seal.

Would It just be easier to get a complete front diff out of a TJ an swap mine out with? Maybe one with 4.10 gears, then I'll just have to buy a gearset for the rear? Which when I put 33" tires on it I'll have to do anyway. I have some pretty good connections with the junkyard around here.

All TJ front axles are low pinion. Your best bet would be to find a front axle out of a 97, 98 or 99 XJ. That will still be high pinion (the XJ went to low pinion in 2000) and will have the larger u-joints. XJs from about 92 and newer will also have the larger u-joints if they had ABS.

So if I can find a 97-99 XJ front axle it should be a pretty staright forward swap. My truck does not have ABS. Do the 97-99 XJ's all have ABS or was that just a option? Those year axle's have the bigger joints correct? Thanks guys :-D

True. You can swap in a later model YJ outer shaft with the 297X joint (or so I've heard).

True. 95 was the only year that the YJ had the bigger 297 joints. I used them in mine. As for the CAD i welded 2 collars together to lock the shafts together.

So if I can find a 97-99 XJ front axle it should be a pretty staright forward swap. My truck does not have ABS. Do the 97-99 XJ's all have ABS or was that just a option? Those year axle's have the bigger joints correct? Thanks guys :-D

ABS was an option, but the only difference to the axle was the tone ring, you can swap an ABS axle in without experiencing any difficulties.

From what I have seen in the JYs, '95/'96 was the approximate year for the 297x phase-in.

If you buy the shafts new from 4WD Hardware, they will all come with the 297x u-joints.

Why you wanting to remove the CAD? It's a great option for manually controlling a front locker or welded diff.

If it's a problem with it staying engaged and you have an open diff, simply remove the disconnect housing, slide the lockcollar over the axleshafts, and reinstall the disconnect housing upside down. This will hold the lockcollar permanently in place.

I purposely sought out a D44 with the vacuum disconnect, it'll be cable controlled with a spool in the diff. Much cheaper than an ox locker ;)

Why you wanting to remove the CAD?

Same here. Itty-bitty 'joints and the pull-your-part yard by me has never ever had a YJ, let alone a 95 YJ. Lots of XJs though. Not that it matters much to me personally just yet. My 88 has Ford axles, the 86 has been in 4wd only once since I bought it, and the 90 isn't any where near ready for the road. But rest assured that the 90 will have the conversion eventually.

Jeep on!

--Pete

The only part on the Dana 30 that I have broken is the driver’s axle shaft. It has been due to u-joint failure each time and I swap out u-joints about once a year if they need it or not. When the joint goes the ears of the two yokes come around and just tear each other apart. I keep spares with the u-joints and unit bearings all together so if it happens I just pull the whole thing out and put a whole new one in. It can be done on the trail in under 30-min. My YJ has a FSJ Dana 44 up front and I’m doing the same swap on my XJ so the MJ will be the only one with Dana 30.

Thanks bounty hunter. I'll contact them monday an check it out. Will this kit give me a 1 piece axle? If so will it have the bigger U joint?

NOT for 30$!!! If It did would you want to run it!!! :shock: :D

The kit is for the new/correct seal and block off plate for the CAD. You supply the axles.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merc ... gory_Code=

CW

Yea guess I wasn't thinkin straight on that. I got on there web site an got the Part# I'll probably order it this week.

I like to call them "Brain farts" and its a damn good thing they have no gaseous odor, as I would likely pass out with the frequiency I have them!! :shock: :D