Dual Diagram Brake Booster

• 1 month later...

I have bled my brakes a lot and I have good pad, but my pedal doesn’t grab and isn’t firm till the later half of the pedal. Any help? It’s also pretty soft throughout but it still locks the brakes. Possible bad booster? I replaced it with one from a 87 Cherokee because mine hissed 

56 minutes ago, Isaiah Hahn said:

I have bled my brakes a lot and I have good pad, but my pedal doesn’t grab and isn’t firm till the later half of the pedal. Any help? It’s also pretty soft throughout but it still locks the brakes. Possible bad booster? I replaced it with one from a 87 Cherokee because mine hissed 

1. Have you manually adjusted the rear brake shoes to minimize the amount of piston travel in the wheel cylinders before the rear brakes engage?

2. Did you follow the full procedure for bleeding the emergency circuit in the MJ brake system?

^^^do this first, then consider the booster upgrade.  The self adjusters on the rear drums are anything but that.

FWIW, I now run an 02 KJ with drums on the rear 8.25.   Nothing makes the brakes work better than manually adjusting the rear drums.  About every 6 months I crawl under the back and adjust them.

Ooor you could convert to disc all round.

Pretty sure this can be done on the Dana 35. I know it can be done with Chrysler 8.25 because I did mine. 

4 wheel disc + booster upgrade = put you through the windshield brakes.

If you got the coin you could upgrade even farther by using WJ front brakes, but that is very involved.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

1. Have you manually adjusted the rear brake shoes to minimize the amount of piston travel in the wheel cylinders before the rear brakes engage?

2. Did you follow the full procedure for bleeding the emergency circuit in the MJ brake system?

I adjusted and followed full procedure, but still soft