LS4+TF904?

CheapXJ

although nothing special, I've had good experience with the tf904 (behind early 2.5/2.8 in XJs and MJs)

there were adapters available to mate it to a SBC.

ls4 is a modern 5.3L chevy LS v8 with a 60 degree bolt pattern that will bolt up to this trans...

anyone know how much boost the 904 can handle yet? :beerbang:

My buddy had a 904 behind a 2.5 in a YJ and he grenaded it.......we ended up swapping in an AX5 and a clutch pedal.  Not sure why the 904 died, though.  I'd be a bit concerned putting it behind an LS:dunno:

Take that for what it's worth though, I'm not an auto trans guy.  Voodoo boxes, I call them.

Something to consider, although the LS4 will bolt up to the bell housing it does not have any starter provisions.

The LS4 was designed to use a bellhousing mounted starter,  2.5l/2.8l Jeeps use a block mounted starter so fabrication and some creativity will be necessary to mount a starter on it,  this is a big reason that you don't see a lot of LS4 swaps.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:09 AM, mnkyboy said:

Something to consider, although the LS4 will bolt up to the bell housing it does not have any starter provisions.

The LS4 was designed to use a bellhousing mounted starter,  2.5l/2.8l Jeeps use a block mounted starter so fabrication and some creativity will be necessary to mount a starter on it,  this is a big reason that you don't see a lot of LS4 swaps.

the fiero guys made a bracket to swap the LS4 stock starter to pretty much anything and you make a 3"x3" square hole in your bellhousing where the bracket bolts on.

I’m running a 904 behind a Cadillac shortstar in my crawler. Running a reverse manual valvebody. Haven’t had any problems with it. Wonder if you could come up with a starter that would mount on the bellhousing. Mine has the caddy starter with notched bellhousing. 

EEE8B6FD-1555-484E-B4FE-FA294D885483.jpeg

F60CD60A-CD2A-48AC-9C4E-2264FFB30124.jpeg