Weird starting issue

Every once in a while, I will go out to start my 87 2.5 and it won't crank at all. No click, no crank. And if I move the shifter through a few gears without pressing the clutch, then re try starting, it will crank right up? Usually. and when it won't, if I move the truck by pushing it to a different position, then shift it, it will then crank, otherwise I try to park where I can roll start it if I need to. 

Has anyone encountered anything like this? The last starting issue I had was when I did my 4x4 swap. The starter wouldnt work while bolted in, but would bench test just fine. I added grounds at that time thinking maybe a ground issue, but I don't know what to think now. I havent been under it yet to inspect everything. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this and what fixed it. 

I did replace the starter when I did the 4x4 swap with an advance auto or autozone part, but its been several years with no issues. 

Thanks for the input.

Intermittent cranking is usually caused by dirty or worn contacts in the starter solenoid and/or relay, as well as loose/corroded connections. Go over every terminal in the starting circuit, once you ensure all connections are solid but the issue persists, starter/relay dissection should follow...

My MJ does the exact thing. Started a couple of years ago. I just put a remote start button under the hood wired directly to the starter solenoid. I think either the switch or the mech. at the bottom of the column is worn out. After thousands of off/on uses there has to be a lot of wear. I just keep putting off fixing it.