2019 longdoor MJ build (2door XJ + Shortbed MJ b pillar chassis splice)

Years ago I had a topless MJ because these trucks aren't made for tall people with long torsos. I've been slowly reassembling one over the past 3 years (white 89 shortbed pioneer 2.5 5speed 4x4)

New year's day I impulse bought a white 2door 89 pioneer 4.0 auto 4x4 for $500 (rust free, brand new tires that still had tits on the tread and a supposedly blown motor with above average and even compression for 163k miles) so after swapping a good set of stock injectors in place of the yellow chineseium garbage ones the previous owner installed and fixing the pigtail on #3, I ended up with the healthiest 4.0 I've had since the late 90...

This acquisition replaced my current 89 2door XJ daily which has been through literal hell. It's been rear ended a few times (I live in Florida now) and the chassis is pretty thrashed from the front torque boxes back but from the b-pillar forward it's in great shape. During the Current MJ build I grabbed a truck that was wrecked pretty hard in the front (another 89 white shortbed, stripped chassis but perfect complete Grey interior)

Been diggin around because I know this has been done (or at least attempted) but phucking photobucket ruined the Internet 2 years ago and all the pictures of these builds are basically gone.

Can't say I've found exactly what I have in mind, but I've found things that are very close.

Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I'll stfu now but this is what I'm after. Not retaining the plastic vent covers but using the small pop out vent windows from a 2dr XJ to create a reasonable amount of interior room behind the longer door, since I learned I can't drive a completely assembled 5-speed MJ. Gotta take the seat out and sit on the floor.

My DD 2door has the rear seat permanently removed and the brackets are relocated back half a foot. The LongdoorMJ will replicate this seating position.

IMG_20190112_115424.jpg

At this point, I don't believe you can say "used to know" anymore Harwood!

I finally "settled down" a little after 10 years of living out of suitcases and airport terminals

while mindlessly chasing little green papers and destroying my health shot by shot.

Time to get back to my roots!

(and i'm still an arrogant Renix elitist + collector of 21 slot grilles, lol)

3 hours ago, CheapXJ said:

At this point, I don't believe you can say "used to know" anymore Harwood!

I finally "settled down" a little after 10 years of living out of suitcases and airport terminals

while mindlessly chasing little green papers and destroying my health shot by shot.

Time to get back to my roots!

(and i'm still an arrogant Renix elitist + collector of 21 slot grilles, lol)

Welcome, Amigo -- I'm glad you resurfaced among us.

I still relate the story of the time we all ended a trail ride at Wright's Farm in RI, and someone offered to pass you the salad bowl.

"Salad?!? That's not food, that's what food eats!"

3 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Looking forward to this build but good God man how tall are you?  I'm 6'4" and hardly fit in my 97+ truck due to the bigger dash and taller seats but have no trouble in my 92 5speed unless I'm wearing boots.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs and fit in my stock 88 nicely. 

I have an unusually long torso for my height (i'm a genetic freak with 2 extra vertebrae) on top of being a "big dude"

to sit in an MJ with a roof, i have to kinda slouch my pelvis forward and rub my hootus on the steering wheel while driving.

it's not optimal

no matter where i tilt it, I can't lift off the clutch without turning the steering wheel into a nutcracker.

23 hours ago, JMO413 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs and fit in my stock 88 nicely. 

are you bench or buckets?

had XJ laredo buckets in the 87 (on proper MJ bases, the original all vinyl seats were mostly dirty yellow exposed foam)

this 89 with the wrangler 4bangler in it is getting a bench seat and I'm trying to figure out any possible way to push it down and back as far as possible, but I ultimately may just sell that one if i can't drive it comfortably, or gut it and repower my Commando with the 2.5/ax5/242 combo (the dauntless is not in good health and neither is the transfer case.