Engine swap

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the old 4.0 I can not find the pully for it so I was hoping that some one on here would know what to do or where to go. I have a couple diff jeeps here that iv done the bypass to. Ac unit bolts up completely diff from the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Showgoer said:

I’m trying to figure out how to bypass or delete the ac unit . The compressor is bad and squels like crazy. What or how can I get ride of the ac and where can I find a bypass pully to put in it place

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tmk-5106wcc?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-timken&gclid=CjwKCAiAyrXiBRAjEiwATI95mZsFUpO7a55lNYr2KaS2RxBwpPdAGEbM198Rh-t71YXuiYLIvEomDhoC-hwQAvD_BwE

For $20 you can replace the clutch bearing.......if you are swapping the engine........let it ride for a while. Why delete that which you will replace?

For the trans, since you are keeping it 2W.........TH350 or go with the 700R4. Keep it simple. Assuming your are going SBC which is the only practical swap IMO. 

See KansasHogan. 

No the sqeal is not making me want to do engine swap. If I left it 2 wheel was gonna do a v8 but now I’m thinking of converting it to 4 wheel so I may keep what’s in it or go to a newer 4.0. My new question to this is with the transmission that’s in it can I put a transfer case on that trany or do I have to change trany? And how do I figure out what rear end I have and the gear ratio. What is the typical factory set up for the two wheel drive system?

4.0+auto = 3.55 from the factory (both 4wd and 2wd).  it's easy to check by jacking up one rear tire (trans in neutral) and spin the tire around exactly *twice* while counting the number of times the driveshaft rotates.  it the driveshaft rotates about 3 and a half times, it'll be 3.55.  If it spins a tic over 4 times it'll mean 4.10s. :L:  etc.

a basic 4wd conversion needs a 4wd trans with appropriate t-case, 4wd shifter bracets and handle, front axle and driveshafts.  Typically you can buy a whole XJ and get those parts cheaper than a  junkyard, but a lot depends on the yards near you and the end goal of your build.  it's common practice these days to buy up a whole newer XJ and do a more thorough swap for more modern electronics.  up to 96 will make use of your stock dash, 97+ will need even more work to fit the newer style dash. 

also, be sure to add in your truck's specs into your signature. :L: 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Eagle locked this topic