Still not starting/running

I apologize in advance, this may get long. This ole girl started and idled just fine for about 20 min the other day, went to drive off and as soon as I released the clutch it died. That’s where the problems start. The list of things we’ve checked: fuel is present, spark is present, airflow is good, CPS was replaced. It cranks normal but will not turn over. Acts like it is trying to start but something is missing and I cannot figure it out. 

Then today, after putting in new CPS, took out each spark plug, wiped them off, and she started right up. Idled perfectly (at least for a Jeep) and drove a little even. During the end of the drive, while trying to turn around, it would actually lose power when the gas pedal was hit ultimately shut off and hasn’t come back on today. Acting just like it did the past couple days with not turning over. Please give ideas as to what this could be. Thanks for your time and help. 

Fuel pump, plugs, wiring harness, distributor replaced 3 years ago with minimal driving since. 

So it still has spark now?  Nice and strong?  If you have a timing light you can confirm it's happening at a reasonable time too.

I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it if so.  Might be a dying regulator or pump, and it's just not got enough jam.  Could be a plugged filter or skanky gas if it's been sitting too.

50 minutes ago, zomeizter said:

While cranking, is there spark and injector pulse? Does the fuel pump stay on as well?

Yes spark is there at ignition and pump stays on. 

13 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

So it still has spark now?  Nice and strong?  If you have a timing light you can confirm it's happening at a reasonable time too.

I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it if so.  Might be a dying regulator or pump, and it's just not got enough jam.  Could be a plugged filter or skanky gas if it's been sitting too.

Have not tested timing. 

Fuel filter is new about the same time pump was replaced in 2015. 

2 hours ago, 86customanche said:

Update from today. Started and ran for a min but as soon as throttle was released it died. Beginning to think it’s a fuel quality issue. Going to drain as much as I can out and put some fresh gas in and see what happens. 

Seafoam is your friend

How long has it been sitting?  How old is the fuel?

Pull the line off from before the fuel filter and direct it into a bucket, wire the pump on, it will empty the tank almost entirely in no time.  If you pump it into a clean bucket you can possibly see if there's major problems with the fuel, but the pickup sock may be plugged and the bit of fuel that gets through might be okay looking.

Also, if you put a cheap pump/sock in, the sock might have broken down and plugged itself.

I'm late to the party. Sorry -- I've been sick. (VERY sick. Strep throat is no fun at 74 years of age.) I'm happy to see that the issue has been resolved. I would like to mention, however, that for future reference it would be helpful to use the correct terminology.

It cranks normal but will not turn over.

Cranking IS "turning over," and turning over IS "cranking." They both refer to the condition where the engine is being rotated under power from the starter motor..

• 11 months later...

Skanky gas issue again. 
Sadly this rarely used MJ frequently has stale fuel, it only gets used for a couple of miles a month, at the most. 
And it needs to have a few gallons in the tank to avoid stalling while on steeply sloped side hill trails. 
I now only use non ethanol with Stabil, but still have fuel issues. 

it’s like I need a removable 1 gallon gravity fed tank......

29 minutes ago, 86customanche said:

Skanky gas issue again.

My MJ was my second vehicle for many years, there was a three year period where it was not driven more than two hundred miles and had the same gas the whole time and that was with ethanol gas, always ran great. When I started using it more was after I purchased my boat but still did not get many miles so at the end of boating season the truck always got the leftover two cycle and still ran fine I believe this thing would run on turpentine