Renix retrofit

I have a 1987 MJ that came with a 4.0 I6 and a Peugeot 5 speed.  I decided (without knowing what it would entail) to swap in an AW-4, and my buddy had a 4.0 that he was told by a friend of his was from a 2002 TJ.  I don't have the time or the space to do this swap, so I took it to a fairly reputable 4X4 shop and had them handle the swap.  Now it's worth mentioning that a different shop had started the process of swapping in this later model motor into a different MJ but had never been able to keep it running.  If I was going to spend the money to swap in this motor, I wanted to make sure that it was running and ready to go.  When I dropped it off, the owner of the shop noted that the techs who had started the swap process had retrofitted the Renix system.  My other Jeeps are much later models so I have no experience with Renix. My research seems to say that the components that were moved over were all of the fuel injection bits a pieces, especially the injectors and the fuel rail.  Swapping the AW-4 in means that it came with its own TCU.  What I don't know is what else had to have been fitted to the newer model engine in order for this to work.

This is kind of an intellectual exercise at this point, but I want to understand what I have in the engine bay at this point.  I say it's an exercise because it's running good and shifting just like I would expect it to.  And I get that many of the guys on this forum are not fans of Renix, but at this point I just want to know what I've got so I can look into any modifications that might be beneficial.

Thanks in advance. This project - including a Dana 44 high pinion and a Dana 60 - is going past the three year mark, so I hope that some of my posts in the near future are about things like driving the vehicle.

Pete-

First, I'm asking what "should" (and probably was since the truck is running well)  retained in the '87 Renix MJ when the later model motor was swapped in. this is to help me understand what all is involved int eh Renix system.

Second, I am wondering about why (what would be the benefit(s) of) I would swap in a later model intake (like the one MeanLemons describes in his build thread.)  What are the advantages and downsides of putting non-Renix era hardware on a Renix motor? 

Third-I didn't say it very well, but you're right that I am thinking about what it might take to convert my Renix to a HO format.

Fourth - got the tranny handled.

Thanks for hopefully helping me to clarify.

1: can't say for sure since I haven't seen the work.  it's possible that a later block was put in and adapted to the Renix electronics/wiring and that's what they're talking about.  It's a fairly common swap.  pics would help.  I would find the computer and see what's stamped on it.  :L: 

2: most everything got better with time.  the later horseshoe intakes flow air better than the 80s stuff. 

3: a complete XJ donor.  most everything will need to be changed.  the 2 systems are very similar in overall design, but they share very little in parts and wires. 

@sinkrunThat's a good question. The truck is in another state but I'm hoping to get the engine build number to get more info.

@Pete M That doesn't surprise me, but I thought that @MeanLemons is changing just the intake. I'll go back and take another look.

As far as the Renix swap, I'm asking what components make it up and/or are required to make it work.  To a novice it seems like some later model components might have come over with the later model motor, but based on what you say about the HO upgrade I guess not.

2 hours ago, jamespwsullivan said:

Pete-

First, I'm asking what "should" (and probably was since the truck is running well)  retained in the '87 Renix MJ when the later model motor was swapped in. this is to help me understand what all is involved int eh Renix system.

Second, I am wondering about why (what would be the benefit(s) of) I would swap in a later model intake (like the one MeanLemons describes in his build thread.)  What are the advantages and downsides of putting non-Renix era hardware on a Renix motor? 

Third-I didn't say it very well, but you're right that I am thinking about what it might take to convert my Renix to a HO format.

Fourth - got the tranny handled.

Thanks for hopefully helping me to clarify.

There is no way for us to know what was retained from Renix and what new parts were used. It would require a close, detailed, in-person inspection to figure that out.

2000+ Wrangler and 1999+ Grand Cherokee engines won’t be a direct bolt-in affair.

Expect to fabricate new motor mount brackets or drill & tap the bosses on the block in order to use older brackets.

I'm still not finished with my engine work yet so I don’t know what exactly works and doesn’t work. 

I went with it because why not. I love tinkering and “fixing what is not broken”. And also because I have pile of parts that I want to use up. 

2000+ Wrangler and 1999+ Grand Cherokee engines won’t be a direct bolt-in affair.

Expect to fabricate new motor mount brackets or drill & tap the bosses on the block in order to use older brackets.

I'm still not finished with my engine work yet so I don’t know what exactly works and doesn’t work. 

I went with it because why not. I love tinkering and “fixing what is not broken”. And also because I have pile of parts that I want to use up. 

Good to know about what fits and what doesn’t thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

There is no way for us to know what was retained from Renix and what new parts were used. It would require a close, detailed, in-person inspection to figure that out.

Thank you!!!!!

We have too little to work with at this point.