scam or not...

Pete M

On 1/4/2019 at 6:44 PM, Jeep Driver said:

When a real man needs a real saw. :cool:

RXmgUmb.jpg

I'm not sure I can need a circular saw the saw size as my table saw.  But if I was working on timbers, I might.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, Jeep Driver said:

This is the trap. 

When building decks for example, instead of changing bits I'll run multiple drills and drivers, six of them and they require a slew of batteries. 

Then you'll have to decide which manufacturer produces the best and the most variety of 'bare' tools, circular saw, reciprocating saw, blower, jig saw, flash lights, right angle drill....etc...you'll find the 'remodeling tool' is a tool you cannot live without, otherwise known as the oscillating tool.

Batteries are the trap. 

RMWOoBZ.jpg

I get that is the trap... The battery is pivoting point.   I now have 5 Makita LXT tools, and only 3 batteries. Now I'm looking to add at least three more batteries and a charger this year. The angle grinder really eats up the battery.

And I can spend either half a day with a bit and brace, or I can spend 10 minutes doing the same job.... I'll take the quicker time.

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I have one of those that was my grandfather's.  I've tried to use it a couple times drilling through wood.  couldn't fathom what it must have taken to go through steel.  life was definitely harder back in the day.   :D  

old-vintage-woodworking-carpentry-hand-4

guess what just arrived at the doorstep.  :banana:   holy crap is it strong!  lug nuts (ones that are properly torqued and have antiseize) are nothing. but then I fully expected that.  I cannot wait until the next junkyard trip.  I'm going to just walk around removing random bolts to see what the limit is. :grinyes: 

bring on the rust!!!!  :D 

s-l1600.jpg

Good on ya Pete:banana:

I was waiting to see the exciting conclusion to this before commenting.  I run the 18V version of that and I'm more than pleased with it.  I don't walk into the junkyard without it, and it was a lifesaver for me when I put new UCA's/ball joints on the KJ.  It just laughed at the pinch bolts on the ball joints.

I can't imagine the power that the 20V version has.  Probably on par with pneumatic impacts, but with portability:beerchug:

16 hours ago, Pete M said:

guess what just arrived at the doorstep.  :banana:   holy crap is it strong!  lug nuts (ones that are properly torqued and have antiseize) are nothing. but then I fully expected that.  I cannot wait until the next junkyard trip.  I'm going to just walk around removing random bolts to see what the limit is. :grinyes: 

s-l1600.jpg

I have been waiting to see if this came delivered as advertised. I've been in the market myself to upgrade since all mine are due. I have 2 of the 4 ah batteries and looking to try some 6 on the next buy. I was impressed with the little grinder a guy let me use with a diamond blade. That's on the list as well so the saws all me getting left behind. The grinder is lighter, more compact, and battery life seems longer.

Is this where you actually bought it Pete?

On 12/21/2018 at 2:02 PM, Pete M said:

found this on ebay.  too good to pass up or too good to be true?  ebay has done a good job of standing by buyers against bad sellers, so I went for it.  we shall see. :D 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=DEWALT++xr+Impact+-"3%2F8"+-driver+-dcf887b+-DCF894B&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=80&_sop=15&_udhi=90&LH_BIN=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc

s-l1600.jpg

That 20V XR impact is a workhorse. No more busted knuckles using a breaker bar. It really is like having an air impact without having to drag out the compressor. I bought the 3/8 version for the hard to reach areas just haven't had a chance to use it yet.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:27 PM, Pete M said:

I cannot wait until the next junkyard trip.  I'm going to just walk around removing random bolts to see what the limit is. :grinyes: 

s-l1600.jpg

I did that also.  I broke off more than one or two(only in the Chevy section though :shhh:).

Stop wrecking my dreams of southern junkyards being filled with rust free gold.

1 minute ago, whowey said:

I did that also.  I broke off more than one or two(only in the Chevy section though :shhh:).

Stop wrecking my dreams of southern junkyards being filled with rust free gold.

mostly I wanted it for working on my KJ.  I was not looking forward to the suspension swap. 

but don't get me wrong, there are vast fields of carcasses down here that have never seen salt :D  buuuut sometimes cars from the north come down here to die.  :dunno: for example the KJ that donated its light bar.  that was a straight-up Michigan rig where I could see the carpet poking through to the underside. :( 

It's funny, when I pulled those KJ hooks off in the 'yard the other day I had my impact with me.  The fasteners had some surface rust on them, but they spun right off with my 1/2" ratchet and socket.  I almost killed myself because I loaded up the first fastener in the socket and braced myself to yank my guts out and just about @$$-planted myself backwards when the nut just started spinning off:laugh:

Ya gotta love the South, for some things......