1 large battery vs 2 smaller batteries in paralell

I can't think of any reason that would matter. What batteries would you use? Connecting two 12V batteries in parallel will add their capacities together but whether or not that would be better than one big battery would depend on the capacity of the smaller batteries.

For what it's worth, the stock battery tray will fit a Group 34 battery which is a significant bump in capacity over the stock Group 58. The hold-down fits too.

Battery doesn't sound like a word anymore after reading that back. Battery... battery.

all other things being equal (power availability, quality, space occupied, cost) I can't think of any reason to do 2 instead of 1.  now, if it was substantially cheaper somehow, or you could fit more power into a non-standard space (I've seen a "second" battery done with 2 smaller batts tucked into weird spaces in a wrangler) then I could see it as an upgrade.  But there needs to be an upgrade in there somewhere. :L: 

10 minutes ago, Pete M said:

all other things being equal (power availability, quality, space occupied, cost) I can't think of any reason to do 2 instead of 1.  now, if it was substantially cheaper somehow, or you could fit more power into a non-standard space (I've seen a "second" battery done with 2 smaller batts tucked into weird spaces in a wrangler) then I could see it as an upgrade.  But there needs to be an upgrade in there somewhere. :L: 

Agreed. I bet the Group 34 would come out being the best option in pretty much every way.