An 88 from Montesano

I bought my MJ last summer. It is a 88 2wd, 4.0, 5 sp, bench seat.  It had set for 9 years without registration. I brought it home on a trailer( see pictures) and $500, it was all mine.  Good news is that it has no rust. and to just to get it to run, I replaced the coolant system with a regular vented system, from the spark plugs to the distributor, new battery,  tinkered on most of the wiring and replaced all the fuses,  Fuse box is next.  but she did run and I am driving it now.     

Plans for it is;

make it a 4wd 5 sp

up the gear ratio to 3.54

lift of 3"

make all the gauges work as well as the horn, wipers, heater fan.

Refresh the engine

refresh the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing

strengthen the steering up

strengthen the door post up on the drivers side

put in buckets and console

do a head liner

and for the final, wrap it in a Mossyoak camo wrap.

and there is more but that will come along the way.

any suggestion or ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks

20180308_141321.jpg

20180411_174920.jpg

20180308_141405.jpg

I have been working on this girl. 

I also replaced the speedometer cable and the e-brake cable. painted the roof, fixed the headliner,

She now has Bucket seats, a newer ecu from a 89 cherokee, a 1 1/2" space in the front and put on 31" tires and wheels that are offset.    a bit of a change.  not as much as I am going to do.

The next item is change out the front axle, and get things ready to remove the engine and tranny and be ready to install the rebuilt engine and tranny/transfer case.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I swapped out the rear axle from a donor MJ that has died of frame rust, just another dana 35(non-c clip).    What is funny there is an after market lift on it and with just changing the leaf springs and shocks I gained 2" of clearance at the fender flare, itis now 36" with 31" tires.    I am going from 3.07 gears to 3.54 gears.  wondering how that will be driving.

Today I will put the front axle under it.  a dana 30,.  one of the things that I want to do is beef up the steering.  I know of the ties rod off an WJ, but not sure what years?   Also there is something said about changing the steering box out and re-enforcing the frame.

re-enforcing the frame around the steering box something is to be done with only running 33" tires or am i good with out doing it.    I will not ever run anything bigger then 33" tires.   I am looking a 33x10.5X15 tires on her when these 31" tires wear out.

all this is in preparation of the the AX15/NP231.  That will go in next month.   Of course then I am looking are the wiring issues that will need to be address before putting the rebuilt 4.0/ax15/np231 back into it

Slowly this project is coming around.   I am hoping to pick up a locker or limited slip at the upcoming Swap meet in Puyalup

A lot of work still ahead of me on this project.

Keep up the good work!  

I just picked up the twin to your truck. Let me know how the 3.54's go.  I found a local 4.56 and am planning on eventually going to 33's as well so I may just deal it as this will only be going around town for now.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, Submariner said:

Yesterday I swapped out the rear axle from a donor MJ that has died of frame rust, just another dana 35(non-c clip).    What is funny there is an after market lift on it and with just changing the leaf springs and shocks I gained 2" of clearance at the fender flare, itis now 36" with 31" tires.    I am going from 3.07 gears to 3.54 gears.  wondering how that will be driving.

Today I will put the front axle under it.  a dana 30,.  one of the things that I want to do is beef up the steering.  I know of the ties rod off an WJ, but not sure what years?   Also there is something said about changing the steering box out and re-enforcing the frame.

re-enforcing the frame around the steering box something is to be done with only running 33" tires or am i good with out doing it.    I will not ever run anything bigger then 33" tires.   I am looking a 33x10.5X15 tires on her when these 31" tires wear out.

all this is in preparation of the the AX15/NP231.  That will go in next month.   Of course then I am looking are the wiring issues that will need to be address before putting the rebuilt 4.0/ax15/np231 back into it

Slowly this project is coming around.   I am hoping to pick up a locker or limited slip at the upcoming Swap meet in Puyalup

A lot of work still ahead of me on this project.

My truck had 3.07 gears I upgraded tires to 31’s and that didn’t work. Changed to 3.73 and all is great I can even use 5th gear again. Plus it can actually accelerate going up a small grade now. Or tow my quad trailer to go to the off road areas. 

On 3/1/2019 at 11:03 AM, Submariner said:

one of the things that I want to do is beef up the steering.  I know of the ties rod off an WJ, but not sure what years?   Also there is something said about changing the steering box out and re-enforcing the frame.

U want ZJ v8 model steering tie rod it direct bolt in, if u really want WJ steering u will need swap knuckles to make WJ steering work. BTW it 99-04 WJ