KJ question.....no heat (fixed), now headlight questions

mjeff87

LEDs on everything except the flourescents in the garage. But they'll be gone soon after the pile of spares are gone. No more halogens or incandescents except for dash light. I don't like the bright whites either Jeff. There's a real good selection now if you do your homework.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, that's not a bad idea.

we don't get tons of snow here, but when we do get it we get dumped on.  I totally forgot about the heat output melting snow off the lenses.....I just might stick with the nuclear-halogen option:laugh:

I put a set of Phillips x-tremes in today.  While I had the housings out I gave them a good polish (again), and all is looking good.  Just waiting for darkness to take it on a trial run to see what difference that might have.

L.E.D.'s are great!

But, as Pete said, heat output.

We've converted the landing/taxi lights on my bonanza to LED, and to off-set for winter landings, are adding a late model incandescent nose gear mounted landing light.

I would NOT choose them as a primary light source on a road vehicle.  They are brighter, but have less heat output and do not have as nice of a splash pattern.

I put the cheapest available replacements in my KJ.  They work great.  But, I'm not investing money in my KJ, either.  It's rusty, and is a plow vehicle.  As far as I'm concerned, the cheaper the better.  It doesn't help that I've got to polish the headlights multiple times a year for them to even work well

45652620_10102638578749523_6723283887524413440_n.jpg

45430993_10102638578979063_2996999261133996032_n.jpg

Lol Pat, yep.

I pulled and polished the fog lamps today, and had to wait for dark to realm the headlights.  It's a miracle....I can see at night again!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.  I did draw the obligatory blood working on the fogs.:banana:

replaced.jpg.b4a819cb232b144f8ac71f3c74c62cc4.jpgKinda boring pics, but I spent the better part of Saturday tracking down Phillips bulbs (only Pep Boys carries them around me, and I loathe going into that store....).  I found it much quicker and easier to just pull the grill and both headlight housings out to swap the bulbs, rather than trying to get to them from behind.  I polished the headlamp lenses again, and also pulled the fogs and polished them (they were in need of a cleaning/polishing).  I accidentally broke the tip off of one the OEM/old headlight bulbs pulling it out of the housing, so in the trash it went LOL.  It still worked, but instantly fogged up with mystery smoke when I plugged it back in.:laugh:

Grill pulled and headlights out, headlights with polish on them (Crest toothpaste, then followed up with Meguire's scratch remover compound:brows:), fogs out, fogs polished, all put back together, and an obligatory shot of my engine bay:brows:

Only 3 beers and one cut finger.

grill off.jpg

headlights with polish.jpg

polished headlights.jpg

polished fogs.jpg

replaced.jpg

unpolished fogs.jpg

engine 2.jpg

lit up.jpg

Back to the heater core for a moment, I totally forgot.  One of the tricks I used, that I think had the best result, was to gently modify an el cheapo hose end wand thingy that my dear old mom got for me many years ago.  I bent the tube part carefully so it would insert the whole way into the core inlet/outlets, and it has a 1/4 turn valve on it.  I used it to  flush the core both ways with short, quick bursts of water.  Putting the tube the whole way into the core allowed me to really get a good flush and push any air out:beerchug:

image.jpeg

Yeah, but lookey where that alternator is......it's so easy to change I think even one of my cats could do it:laugh:

Now, getting the oil filter off, or changing the #6 plug or coil.  Well, some engineer needs keel hauled for those.

^^^theres lots of options fir a cleaning chemical for the core (CLR, Prestone mystery fluid, and others).  Since my KJ core is aluminum, and buried under my dash, I didn't want to take a chance of putting anything too caustic in it and chance any possible corrosion/leak.  Vinegar is a mild acid that doesn't attack aluminum, although it does discolor it if left in contact for too long, so I took the safe route with it.

The trick is to carefully blow out the core with air and then add the vinegar/water mix so it actually fills up the core.  I let it sit like that for about 30 minutes, then flushed it all out.  Blew the core out with air again, then filled the core with coolant mix, quickly reconnected the hoses and refilled the whole system.  I've got 170 degree air out of my vents now, have to cut the heat back it runs so good, lol.

Glad you have heat again:beerchug:

I blew the coolant out with my air pressure. Filled the core with vinegar and let it set for 20 minutes. Poored the rest of the gallon through it. The gallon was only $2. Can't buy any flush chemical for that! Flushed and back flushed with water. Now you have to turn the heat down it's so warm.