Uh oh.

DirtyComanche

I absolutely don't have the space or time for any other vehicles.  I just don't.  It's not possible, or workable, or anything.  I did sell the extra XJ I had for a tidy profit (about $2k), but I didn't sell my J10 and decided I'd at least fix it up a bit so it was reliable and then either drive it or sell it.

But then I spied this poor little guy out on the reservation, mixed in with a ton of other junk vehicles. :sad:

So, what can you do?  Everyone needs a home.

8sSu6pSh.jpg

fnc7H33h.jpg

That's the better side as far as straightness.  The other side has a creased fender and door, and one little dent in the cab from being hit by something.  Tailgate is a little bent and jammed, but not terrible.  But it looks like the only rust on the whole thing is around the bottom of the taillights, which is kinda odd actually...  I'm sure if I pull the flares I'll find more, but really, it's surprisingly nice in that regard.

Hopefully he finds the keys before I dig into it.  Loading it with the steering locked and the nowhere near round rear tire was less than ideal...  Unloading it will be worse.

16 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

Nice ! Toss another key cylinder in it so it can be moved easier and call it a day 

I probably will, they're only $20 CAD...  But I'll admit I've actually never pulled a steering column apart.  I'll give him a couple days to try to find them, it's going to sit on the trailer that long anyways.

What would be nice is if you could order the bisexual ignition cylinder and door locks as a set, and I could just convert the whole thing to that setup, like my 88 is.

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

#theMJaddictionisreal  :D 

Yeah.

I was like "No, I'm not doing it.  Nope.  Nope.  Can't.  Not possible.  Go work on the J truck and get it good to go and forget about this."

Next thing you know I'm trying to unload the parts J20 from the trailer so I can go get it. :doh:

11 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I probably will, they're only $20 CAD...  But I'll admit I've actually never pulled a steering column apart.  I'll give him a couple days to try to find them, it's going to sit on the trailer that long anyways.

Piece 'o cake.....pull the steering wheel and lockplate (there's a tool for the lockplate but you can manage without it if you have to).  There's a setscrew that holds the whole ign cylinder in, just remove it and pop out the cylinder (after pulling out the ignition swtich rod).

Get the lock plate removal tool. It’s worth it! The other method requires at least 3 hands in very tight places... with the tool you could do it with only one hand. Makes reinstall smooth too. 

Looks like Lisle #57340.

6 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

Get the lock plate removal tool. It’s worth it! The other method requires at least 3 hands in very tight places... with the tool you could do it with only one hand. Makes reinstall smooth too. 

Looks like Lisle #57340.

I'll just order one.  It's $23 on Amazon.

Looking at the column they hamfisted it anyways.  I've got another one here that I'll swap the lock cylinder on and install instead.

Might just break this one farther so I can steer the thing.

Oh yeah, I cleaned the big chunks of garbage out of it today since I have to go to the dump tomorrow anyways.  I found no less than 6 fuel pumps scattered on the floor and seat and 2 more in the box.  :nuts:

On 10/24/2018 at 6:12 AM, mjeff87 said:

Piece 'o cake.....pull the steering wheel and lockplate (there's a tool for the lockplate but you can manage without it if you have to).  There's a setscrew that holds the whole ign cylinder in, just remove it and pop out the cylinder (after pulling out the ignition swtich rod).

Dunno about the switch rod.  But I managed it without the lockplate tool, really not that bad, about a 2/10 by standards of stupid helicopter stuff, would have been easier if I had more than one pick and a slotted screwdriver on me.  Anyways, the cylinder is lying on the floor with all the fuel pumps now, so just gotta swap a couple tires with ones that are round and I can unload it at some point.