Dana 44 drum brakes

52 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

On the website, those part numbers do not show individual components.  It shows the full set.

Did you get a name for the sales agent?

They don't show most individual parts and pieces from their kits; you have to talk to an agent to get them. The guy I always dealt with was Doug, extension 318. But that was quite awhile ago - he may be gone now or maybe even be the President of Teraflex now.    :laugh:

Here's the spacer on Amazon.    717lGQEEnnL._SL1500_.jpg

9 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

Busy afternoon and evening and just able to follow up on this thread. I looked online for the oldest Teraflex catalog I could and found the 2010 version in PDF (attached). I was curious if it had the parts from the kit listed individually, but it did not. However, it DID have an illustration of which axles/bolt patterns go with which kit. See page 74.

So I'm happy to report that I called Teraflex and was able to order the "Early Jeep" D44 specific backing plates...direct bolt on, no drilling. I told them I had an 88 MJ with a D44 and needed the ones from the kit #4354410 along with the correct preload spacers for the bearings which is #86262. Sales guy confirmed these parts. If you have a  '91 or later D44 with the "non-rectangular" mounting bolt pattern you'll want backing plates from kit #4354420 and spacers #86261. But obviously confirm your axle and with the phone sales rep. $300 shipped for a pair (free shipping). That ain't cheap but for me I'm willing to pay the "convenience fee" for new, bolt on backing plates with parking brake assembly. I can pick and choose on whether I go new or JY on the rest of the parts when I'm ready to install everything, although I'm pretty sure I'll go new, but that's just me. At least I didn't have to plunk down $700 for the full kit now, but I wanted to get the key components before they suddenly go away. Because my truck is not a DD, I'm the type I "plan" on doing something like this and then 4yrs have gone by and I haven't done anything meanwhile the parts are no longer available. I'm confident ZJ or Explorer rotors and calipers will still be available for years to come, but XJ/MJ D44 direct bolt on disc brake backing plates are likely losing demand more and more every year. 

TeraFlex_2010_Catalog.pdf

Way to go! Back when I got the backing plates years ago it cost me $80 / per side. $300 isn't bad at all - lot better than the whole kit.

1 hour ago, 87MJTIM said:

On the website, those part numbers do not show individual components.  It shows the full set.

Did you get a name for the sales agent?

Tim, that is why I called because neither the website or catalog, past or present, showed the individual parts. I looked for an old catalog hoping maybe they used to but not the case. FORTUNATELY, it was a no hassle call. I think his name was Phil. I actually BS'd my story in case they didn't normally sell the individual parts. I basically used Don's real life story of "I have an MJ with D35 that I already have your kit on but I just got a D44 axle so all I need are the correct backing plates to swap everything over". He clarified what I was asking and I could literally hear him thumb through their book to find the part #. Quoted $138+ each, i.e. didn't have to break down price from the kit or put me on hold and see if they could "break" a kit, so it seems pretty clear they sell them individually. Spacers were $6.99 each, total w/tax and free shipping was $301 and change I believe. Stoked to have these coming.   

10 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Tim, that is why I called because neither the website or catalog, past or present, showed the individual parts. I looked for an old catalog hoping maybe they used to but not the case. FORTUNATELY, it was a no hassle call. I think his name was Phil. I actually BS'd my story in case they didn't normally sell the individual parts. I basically used Don's real life story of "I have an MJ with D35 that I already have your kit on but I just got a D44 axle so all I need are the correct backing plates to swap everything over". He clarified what I was asking and I could literally hear him thumb through their book to find the part #. Quoted $138+ each, i.e. didn't have to break down price from the kit or put me on hold and see if they could "break" a kit, so it seems pretty clear they sell them individually. Spacers were $6.99 each, total w/tax and free shipping was $301 and change I believe. Stoked to have these coming.   

Thx

These arrived today, and invoice in box was for less than quoted over phone......no tax! $282.98 including the spacers. You can see the rectangular bolt pattern vs the trapezoid shape pattern for the later model Jeeps. The sticker on the dust shield says F/JE and the invoice says "Ford Rear Disc Brake...." so these are for both Ford and  "Early Jeep" models obviously. 

Part #s are 86311 for left side and 86312 for right side. #86262 is for the pre-load spacers needed.   

20181113_160009.jpg

When I ran into this issue, I took the "standard" Teraflex preload spacers and had the local machine shop turn the outside diameter down so they fit into the bore of the D44 axle housing.  The shop charged me $20 for both.

I had no idea Teraflex even offered alternative spacers.

Wait until you get to the part where you connect the parking brake cables to the features on the caliper brackets.  The Teraflex bracket isn't even CLOSE to the right dimensions to accept either an OEM ZJ cable OR the Teraflex aftermarket cables.   The guys who designed that portion of the kit were REALLY asleep when the worked out those features!!:doh:

19 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

When I ran into this issue, I took the "standard" Teraflex preload spacers and had the local machine shop turn the outside diameter down so they fit into the bore of the D44 axle housing.  The shop charged me $20 for both.

I had no idea Teraflex even offered alternative spacers.

Wait until you get to the part where you connect the parking brake cables to the features on the caliper brackets.  The Teraflex bracket isn't even CLOSE to the right dimensions to accept either an OEM ZJ cable OR the Teraflex aftermarket cables.   The guys who designed that portion of the kit were REALLY asleep when the worked out those features!!:doh:

Thanks for the heads up, got any pics of your setup on the parking brake cables?

What I did was to make a forked-shaped metal plate that went around the ferrule on the parking brake cable jacket.   Then I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 bolt hole in the new backing plate/caliper attaching plate to retain this forked-shaped bracket.  The photo shows it installed, retaining the Teraflex cable.

Clip.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I took a peek at my TeraFlex pdf and for the D44 kit it says backing plates are part#'s 86211 and 86212. (You mentioned 86311 and 86312...and I'm thinking these may be for the D35). It's worth double checking.

Also, I found this on Amazon and it looks like they are for the at least the D35, possibly the D44? ...as one of the reviews says it was put on a ZJ D44 rear axle. Not clear which. I am doing a little research to confirm. 

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive-4762128-29K-Hardware/dp/B00I7ERHIE/ref=asc_df_B00I7ERHIE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312712394155&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5737560112073037969&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032154&hvtargid=pla-599105888604&psc=1

1 hour ago, Gjeep said:

I took a peek at my TeraFlex pdf and for the D44 kit it says backing plates are part#'s 86211 and 86212. (You mentioned 86311 and 86312...and I'm thinking these may be for the D35). It's worth double checking.

Also, I found this on Amazon and it looks like they are for the at least the D35, possibly the D44? ...as one of the reviews says it was put on a ZJ D44 rear axle. Not clear which. I am doing a little research to confirm. 

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive-4762128-29K-Hardware/dp/B00I7ERHIE/ref=asc_df_B00I7ERHIE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312712394155&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5737560112073037969&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032154&hvtargid=pla-599105888604&psc=1

G, what year is your 44 axle? Mine is a 1988 factory D44, so I had to get the "early model" Jeep kit,. The "late model" kits I believe had the offset bolt pattern as shown in the attachment from the 2010 Teraflex catalog.  

Teraflex Disc Brake Kit Guide.pdf

Teraflex Disc Brake Kit Guide.jpg

Far as I recall back when I got mine years ago the only differences in the Teraflex backing plates was the axle flange bolt pattern, i.e. the first one was for my c-clip D35 and then I got the "older Jeep" bolt pattern for my D44. Both kits used the same calipers and pads.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:19 AM, AZJeff said:

What I did was to make a forked-shaped metal plate that went around the ferrule on the parking brake cable jacket.   Then I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 bolt hole in the new backing plate/caliper attaching plate to retain this forked-shaped bracket.  The photo shows it installed, retaining the Teraflex cable.

Clip.pdf

Thanks to Gjeep for finding these VW e-brake cable retaining clips; they work perfectly.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/81604/Parking-Brake-Retaining-Clip-1H0609747/

image.png.39dd1c9f983e9b6a03f5c1c7e7d507fb.png

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Far as I recall back when I got mine years ago the only differences in the Teraflex backing plates was the axle flange bolt pattern, i.e. the first one was for my c-clip D35 and then I got the "older Jeep" bolt pattern for my D44. Both kits used the same calipers and pads.

If you look at the catalog description, the "older model Jeep" kit is for non c-clip axles and the D44 THROUGH 1988. The "late model Jeep" description says for c-clip 35s, D44s (which has generally been agreed upon never had a c-clip version) and the 8.25 STARTING from 1991 through 2006, hence the different flange bolt pattern. But more importantly check the notes below that say "The years between 1987 and 1991 are the dark years where anything is possible from Jeep®, so check the bolt pattern with the drawing before ordering a kit". That explains that it is possible Don's '90 D44 needed the "early model" plates and GJeep's '89 actually needed the "late model" plates because who knew what they were getting in those crossover years from AMC to Chrysler. Bottom line, look at your flange bolt pattern before you buy if you have an '89 or '90. 

19 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Thanks to Gjeep for finding these VW e-brake cable retaining clips; they work perfectly.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/81604/Parking-Brake-Retaining-Clip-1H0609747/

image.png.39dd1c9f983e9b6a03f5c1c7e7d507fb.png

That is pretty neat and a good find.  It saves a bunch of hassle.   Too bad Teraflex doesn't supply those with their kit....