Similar axle?

98 Cherokee d30hp to go under my current 2wd. Similar application or tons of modifications? I know there might or will be some. 

I know I need to do rotors, pads, bearings etc. on the current 2wd, so I'm thinking it's just gonna be easier and better all around to just go ahead with the start of the 4wd swap on her. 

Thoughts? 

Source, fb marketplace. 

20181014_123954.jpg.d2cbf1e8b5699574c599357aee2cd9c0.jpg

goes right in. :L:   just don't forget down the road that any brakes/rotors/etc that you do to this new axle must be for a 98.  lots of changes happened over the decades that the dana 30 was used and the individual parts aren't necessarily compatible year to year.

Direct bolt-in. No changes.

Let me amplify what Pete wrote. It isn't that " the individual parts aren't necessarily compatible year to year." The parts ARE NOT compatible from year to year. You MUST buy hubs, bearings, rotors, and calipers for a '98 Cherokee. Nothing for an '88 MJ will fit or work. If you ever have to replace a steering knuckle, that has to be for a '98 XJ, as well.

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Would be a good idea to replace the  control arms with new WJ uppers and lowers when you install the axle. The improvement in handling will be very evident. Are you planning a complete 4WD conversion later on?

eventually it would be ideal. yes.

havent seen any wj arms.

If i find a deal on a ax15 with external I'll jump on the conversion that weekend most likely.