1987 Comanche Restore

Hey guys, my Dad and I were just gifted an immaculate 1987 Jeep Comanche. It's a 2.5L 5Spd 4x4. 87***km, NO RUST. Has stock rims and a set of aftermarket mags. The other guy got rid of it because the tranny wouldn't go into reverse. Upon doing some research, I have discovered that the 87 most likely would have had the AX-5, now I have heard that the Ax-15 is a significant upgrade. Is there any years in specific I should be looking for? What's most plug and play friendly?

Side note, I have heard the 2.5's were pretty gutless, what would a decent upgrade be, aside from the obvious 4.0L

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Side note- Live in Vancouver, BC, Canada

So, after much more digging, I have decided to just stick with the ax-5 2.5L combo, need a DD for now. That aside, will any ax-5 fit? Could use some pointers from people with experience or knowledge.

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Any AX-5 with 4x4 will fit behind the 2.5L ‘84-‘01 Cherokee XJ’s and ‘86-‘92 MJ’s. As for upgrading to the AX-15 behind the 2.5L, you will need to find a Dakota with the 2.5L for the 2.5L to AX-15 bellhousing. 

Does it need to be 4x4? Can I not just swap the NPC 231 from old ax-5 to new one? Or is there a gearing difference? Thanks in advance!

You must use a 4wd transmission unless you want to tear the transmissions apart and swap significant parts over, which may or may not be damaged in your current transmission.

XJ/MJ AX-5s have the transfer case adapter flange drilled different than YJ/TJ ones.  If you use a YJ/TJ one the transfer case will wind up clocked higher and there is potential for floor contact and the shift linkage not working; basically it may not bolt together as intended, although it will physically fit.

40 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

You must use a 4wd transmission unless you want to tear the transmissions apart and swap significant parts over, which may or may not be damaged in your current transmission.

XJ/MJ AX-5s have the transfer case adapter flange drilled different than YJ/TJ ones.  If you use a YJ/TJ one the transfer case will wind up clocked higher and there is potential for floor contact and the shift linkage not working; basically it may not bolt together as intended, although it will physically fit.

Good to know, so avoid yj/tj ax-5s

Side note, my shopping list for the motor rebuild so far is

Rad hoses
Thermostat
Clutch/plate
Plugs/wires
Battery
Belts
Air filter
Fuel filter

PCV 
Rotor/cap
All fluids/oils
Can you think of anything else?

2 hours ago, Zaptoo said:

Side note, my shopping list for the motor rebuild so far is

Rad hoses
Thermostat
Clutch/plate
Plugs/wires
Battery
Belts
Air filter
Fuel filter

PCV 
Rotor/cap
All fluids/oils
Can you think of anything else?

Are you actually rebuilding the engine?

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

Think about adding OEM oxygen sensor to your list. How many mile/km is on the vehicle?

87***Km, so about 50k Miles, is there an option to delete O2 sensor? I'm going to remove CAT etc and probably run new from block (headers, muffler etc)

1 minute ago, Zaptoo said:

Parts guy said a different clutch? Have yet to do research on it though.

Yes, order per the year. 

That said, nothing will really change. 

And if you are changing trans any way,  you'll want a '94+ to get the external slave/bell. 

2 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Yes, order per the year. 

That said, nothing will really change. 

And if you are changing trans any way,  you'll want a '94+ to get the external slave/bell. 

Is it a complicated changeover? or just plug and play? I would prefer an external but at this moment in time i'm not in a position to be picky.

I found a 91 YJ tranny for 350$ CAD just have to swap the flange as DirtyComanche stated.

Side Note - So look for the clutch that corresponds with the year of the transmission I will be putting in correct?

Also if I have bung welded or use the bung from the current cat for the new exhaust it shouldn't be problematic should it?

Thank you for your help and patience! 

:bowdown:

14 minutes ago, Zaptoo said:

Also if I have bung welded or use the bung from the current cat for the new exhaust it shouldn't be problematic should it?

No, just keep in mind the length of the O2 wires when determining bung location.

36 minutes ago, Zaptoo said:

Is it a complicated changeover? or just plug and play? I would prefer an external but at this moment in time i'm not in a position to be picky.

I found a 91 YJ tranny for 350$ CAD just have to swap the flange as DirtyComanche stated.

Side Note - So look for the clutch that corresponds with the year of the transmission I will be putting in correct?

Thank you for your help and patience! 

:bowdown:

So looking at the 86 comanche... theres like 5 options for clutches on Rockauto... which one of these would be best/correct?

Clutch.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

Don't know about the 86 and this is the first I've heard of the O2 at the Cat. 

O2 is at the exhaust manifold or in the down pipe about 6" below the manifold. 

Just one? Neat.