1987 Comanche Restore

1 hour ago, Zaptoo said:

So, fun fact. Tow truck that towed it to my mechanics place did not dolly the rear wheels. On a scale of 1-10 how much could this damage the Tcase? It traveled approx 30miles

It's likely fine, assuming they at least put the trans in neutral...  I mean, I dunno, that sounds like somebody failed towing 101.  However, the tcase oil pump is on the rear output shaft, so as long as that is spinning it has lubrication.  Ideal, no, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

If not, tcases are cheap.

8 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

It's likely fine, assuming they at least put the trans in neutral...  I mean, I dunno, that sounds like somebody failed towing 101.  However, the tcase oil pump is on the rear output shaft, so as long as that is spinning it has lubrication.  Ideal, no, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

If not, tcases are cheap.

Thanks man, good to know. I'm super stoked that you guys are so helpful! Gotta snap some pics for the forum. Get all the details too. Can't wait to get this thing restored!

C1580D31-5AAF-40E2-9FCC-9A317BC8A139.jpeg.efac21e209e8f2650e167c43e0e8f762.jpeg

Since your truck is an 86, I have an 86 factory manual I use and I took a picture of all fluids to use for various moving pieces. It looks as if AMC called for dexron II, if it’s even available but most guys here who have 4 wheel drive will tell you what can be used with no issue. 

He's got a manual tranny, use 75w-90 GL5 oil, or something like that.  Same for the axles.  Personally I like synthetics, that's me.

Tcase can use any ATF.  Dex/Merc III is still available, but later Jeep manuals will say ATF+4 because they're Chrysler.  It doesn't matter which, just make sure you put ATF in it and not gear oil.

Just now, Jeep Driver said:

Get it running and driving first. 

I'm a planner. I like to make lists for my projects. I should have everything by next Wednesday for the Engine overhaul and Transmission swap. 

21 minutes ago, Zaptoo said:

I'm a planner. I like to make lists for my projects. I should have everything by next Wednesday for the Engine overhaul and Transmission swap. 

OK. 

Plan on getting it running and driving first. 

I assume you are asking for wisdom from those of us who have done this?

Running and driving............then decide where and how to blow through your lift cash. 

Know what you've got to work with first. 

1986 models would have had the NP207 transfer case, not the NP231. The case lengths are different, thus the driveshafts are different. Ive run into this issue putting 86 donor parts into my 87. Also, the bellhousing for internal and external slave AX5's is the same. If you find an internal slave donor, you can transfer the external slave parts to your new one.