Gauges

As Minuit commented, the XJs and MJs are prewired to work with full gauges, all you need is a cluster out of a compatible year. Yours is an 86? So you need one with a mechanical speedometer -- they changed to an electronic speedometer in 1991. The speedometer cable connection to the actual speedometer changed in 1987, so the easiest for you would be a cluster out of an 84-86 XJ or an 86 MJ. You can also use a cluster from an 87-90 XJ or MJ, but you'll have to replace the speedometer cable with the newer type.

There should be several discussions on here about swapping the cluster. Try a search.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

As Minuit commented, the XJs and MJs are prewired to work with full gauges, all you need is a cluster out of a compatible year. Yours is an 86? So you need one with a mechanical speedometer -- they changed to an electronic speedometer in 1991. The speedometer cable connection to the actual speedometer changed in 1987, so the easiest for you would be a cluster out of an 84-86 XJ or an 86 MJ. You can also use a cluster from an 87-90 XJ or MJ, but you'll have to replace the speedometer cable with the newer type.

There should be several discussions on here about swapping the cluster. Try a search.

Mines a 92

58 minutes ago, mancheflo said:

Mines a 92

Then it'll be easy. The full gauge cluster from any 1991-1996 Cherokee or Comanche is a direct swap. You'll need the accompanying gauge sending units - one for oil pressure, and one for temperature. The correct full cluster looks like this, and has a white casing.

WeFhEL1l.jpg

Looks like everyone answered your question.  I swapped the cluster in my 90 XJ when I got it, happy with it.  Very simple.  Just need to swap out the cluster, water temp sensor, and oil pressure sensor.  There are two water temp sensors (on my 90 XJ anyways, not sure about your 92) - one for the gauge and one for the fan.

Also,  let me suggest you put your vehicle info in your signature line.  Saves you from typing it out every post.