Jump to content

Windshield wiper speeds


Recommended Posts

Installed 97+ xj wiper arms and beam style wipers. I love how they look and how well they wipe but one issue I knew was going to come up has came up... My windshield wipers only have 2 speeds. And in all honesty it's either "slow" speed or "slightly faster" speed. Neither really keeps up in a good rain. It's not that some speeds don't work, it's that there's literally only 2 speeds on the switch arm. Was there an option for more speeds of wiping or are all MJ's like this? If there is a different switch, how hard is it to swap to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Knucklehead97 said:

Installed 97+ xj wiper arms and beam style wipers. I love how they look and how well they wipe but one issue I knew was going to come up has came up... My windshield wipers only have 2 speeds. And in all honesty it's either "slow" speed or "slightly faster" speed. Neither really keeps up in a good rain. It's not that some speeds don't work, it's that there's literally only 2 speeds on the switch arm. Was there an option for more speeds of wiping or are all MJ's like this? If there is a different switch, how hard is it to swap to?

It helps if you add a ground directly from the wiper motor ground point to a wiper pivot mounting screw.

Otherwise, the ground is running from the motor, to the right inner fender, across the front and to the left inner fender. 

wiper motor ground-001.jpg

Wiper motor ground-002.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It helps if you add a ground directly from the wiper motor ground point to a wiper pivot mounting screw.
Otherwise, the ground is running from the motor, to the right inner fender, across the front and to the left inner fender. 
1684526647_wipermotorground-001.jpg.6cd228fd3a889a504f0d872d66f62117.jpg
965087131_Wipermotorground-002.jpg.55071fb9cae9339d303161604d1aee6d.jpg
Makes you wonder what engineer caught his wife with a mechanic?
I swear they do things like that just to give us a hard time!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2018 at 2:52 PM, Knucklehead97 said:

Installed 97+ xj wiper arms and beam style wipers. I love how they look and how well they wipe but one issue I knew was going to come up has came up... My windshield wipers only have 2 speeds. And in all honesty it's either "slow" speed or "slightly faster" speed. Neither really keeps up in a good rain. It's not that some speeds don't work, it's that there's literally only 2 speeds on the switch arm. Was there an option for more speeds of wiping or are all MJ's like this? If there is a different switch, how hard is it to swap to?

 

There was an intermittent wiper option with delay. I originally had the two speed wipers and converted. It requires the installation of a new switch in the column (intermittent w. delay), and of course a new stalk. It's not too bad of an install, but you have to go deep into the column. I hate working in the steering column, but it was worth it. The wipers are plenty fast and you can adjust to all conditions from a drizzle to a heavy rain. Worthwhile mod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the intermittent\delay option OE. All speeds work, but LOW is like waiting on the end of time, and HIGH isn't much faster as it feels like the rains will stop before the blade passes again!
I will give it the additional ground next time I have the cowl off. I know mine was repaired after an accident, so no telling what kind of shotty repairs are done. I've found all sorts of questionable wiring so far. It could very well be the wiring causing the low speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

I've got the intermittent\delay option OE. All speeds work, but LOW is like waiting on the end of time, and HIGH isn't much faster as it feels like the rains will stop before the blade passes again!
I will give it the additional ground next time I have the cowl off. I know mine was repaired after an accident, so no telling what kind of shotty repairs are done. I've found all sorts of questionable wiring so far. It could very well be the wiring causing the low speed.

 

You can also take the cover off the motor and clean out the old grease which is hard as a rock and put a nice moly grease in it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, GreasemonkeySC said:
23 hours ago, cruiser54 said:
 
You can also take the cover off the motor and clean out the old grease which is hard as a rock and put a nice moly grease in it. 

I was actually just thinking about that.

take some pics. I forgot to..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...