Ugly speedometer cable!

When I upgraded my gauge cluster I noticed that my cable was in pretty bad shape due to the upper exhaust pipe, nice pic eh.

I also included the my cluster attacthment pic too. I've poured over the Speedometer cable posts and noticed that there are 2 different plastic attachments. My question is this. Will both types of attachments fit an 1988 cluster? And just for the record my cable length is about 70-72 inches long.  I'm pretty sure its original.

This is on my MJ.

20180726_080351.jpg.17ee25321eef3300802d7df3fb87442b.jpg

Isn't that lovely.

20180726_080524.jpg.b034c8094f5424f027fc375751b93e15.jpg

This one you squeeze the sides to together to release it vs the other plastic type with the levered release ( sorry no pics ).

I getting ready to order a new cable and I'm just trying to as much info as I can get.

To the best of my knowledge, there are not two types of plastic attachment. The early (1984-1986) speedo cable has a metal attachment that is held to the speedo with a screw. The 1987 thu 1990 has the white plastic, squeeze-to-release attachment shown in your photo.

For vehicles with factory cruise control, the end coming off the speedo head is only about a foot long, then it connects to an adapter that is part of the cruise control setup. The long section of that speedo cable takes a different connection where it attaches to the cruise adapter.

Did some research on speedometer cables and found these jeep p/n's with discriptions and illustrations. 

https://cdn.xjjeeps.com/pdf/en-us/1988-to-1990-parts-catalog.pdf

pages 723 and 724.

Image.jpg.d3406f966908983ec6e0e14bfb6ca93a.jpg

I hope this is readable, I still trying to figure out this smartphone stuff.

well I wasn't able to get it in the right position to read.

anyway I put this up because 1. has original jeep P/N's and 2. they break it down to 4cyl or 6cyl, 2WD, 4WD, W or W/O cruise, and some with lengths.

I've noticed that some part house's use jeep p/n's to indicate what they replace.

some of these could be interchangeable with each other with only the difference being the length, I don't know.

I posted this as a guide line to replacing a speedometer cable.

as an example I pulled my speedometer cable out of my 1988 MJ 2WD, 6cyl and it measured out about 70 inches long which matches the description.

but they're are 2 different P/N's, but have the same length. 

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

To the best of my knowledge, there are not two types of plastic attachment. The early (1984-1986) speedo cable has a metal attachment that is held to the speedo with a screw. The 1987 thu 1990 has the white plastic, squeeze-to-release attachment shown in your photo.

For vehicles with factory cruise control, the end coming off the speedo head is only about a foot long, then it connects to an adapter that is part of the cruise control setup. The long section of that speedo cable takes a different connection where it attaches to the cruise adapter.

I have seen the 2 types of plastic retainer clips ( in part illustrations between different replacement cables and my own ), but don't know what years they were used.

my question is, does it really matter?  the back of the gauge cluster between 87-90? have the same type of male fitting it seems.   

My '89 has a "lever" on the speedometer end of the cable, quite similar to some electrical connectors. It has the same natural color plastic, but the fastening looks completely different. I'm fairly sure that the speedometers themselves are identical. Can you post a pic of where the cable goes on your speedometer head?

It should clip on the upper control arm bolt to prevent the cable from getting roasted:

DJDYeFel.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, Minuit said:

My '89 has a "lever" on the speedometer end of the cable, quite similar to some electrical connectors. It has the same natural color plastic, but the fastening looks completely different. I'm fairly sure that the speedometers themselves are identical. Can you post a pic of where the cable goes on your speedometer head?

It should clip on the upper control arm bolt to prevent the cable from getting roasted:

DJDYeFel.jpg

I'm starting to think that the 2 plastic types will fit the same speedometer head.

my cable was fastened the same as yours ( above ), and it's been that way since 1988 hence the burned area. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, DirtyComanche said:

ATP sells a replacement.  It's listed correctly on Rockauto.  ATP Y-914.

I'm going to order the atp y-924. my reason is at the balkamp web site matches the p/n that is listed in the illustration above for a 1988 is oem p/n 5300 9003 which interchanges ( I hope )

to a "atp y-924". your part may very well fit the same vehicle, the difference between the two p/n's is yours is 96" long vs 77" long and my cable was 70" long.

I know I'm taking a small risk but I going to give it a shot. amazon has it for about $30 + shipping.

read the reviews at amazon for this part atp y-924. 

I just received mine from Amazon today and it has the same nylon retainer. I have a spare gauge assy ( my truck ) and tested it on that and it fit great. Going to install it tomorrow and test it out.  You push it on your speedometer ( as you have it now in your pic ) then slide the outer barrel toward the speedo and it locks it place.

20180726_112544.jpg.7fd79c9fbeadacd50dde04f1689e7148.jpg

Looks familiar?

20180728_143842.jpg.3ea3c837bfe50f9849302d493f9cb47f.jpg

Open position ( pulled back )

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Locked postion ( pushed forward toward speedo )

Installed and fits snug. 

Spoiler

20180728_143913.jpg

20180728_144145.jpg

39 minutes ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

I'm running the same issue,  I got the same cable from autozone, listed as ca-3068. Problem I'm having is the clip of the cable doesn't seem to connect to the speedometer. Is this the same speedometer back you have? Have you made yours fit? How?15328235015728679359491940073270.jpg.45209932ab0de1a31d625cc3f6feee80.jpg

How long was your ca3068??............?..... The atp y-924 is 77" long.

My original was 70" long.

1 hour ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

I'm running the same issue,  I got the same cable from autozone, listed as ca-3068. Problem I'm having is the clip of the cable doesn't seem to connect to the speedometer. Is this the same speedometer back you have? Have you made yours fit? How?15328235015728679359491940073270.jpg.45209932ab0de1a31d625cc3f6feee80.jpg

Did you see my earlier post on how to fit your cable?

If you have trouble with the cable seating far enough for the lock to engage, check to make sure there isn't a broken off drive from the old one in either end of things.  If there is it will push the drive part of the new cable out too far to get things to go together.

11 hours ago, a bum with money said:

Did you see my earlier post on how to fit your cable?

Yes I saw thank you. 

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

If you have trouble with the cable seating far enough for the lock to engage, check to make sure there isn't a broken off drive from the old one in either end of things.  If there is it will push the drive part of the new cable out too far to get things to go together.

There was on trans side but I already removed that. Gonna check guage now...

success! just took my rig out for a test drive, only put a couple miles on it so it might be to early to tell. but the ATP Y-924 seems to be a suitable replacement for my 88 MJ. even tho it had a nylon retainer that I had never seen before it fit well and locked into place. was looking at the OEM parts manual and they listed two different lengths, 70" for the 2WD and 77" for the 4WD with the A/T, w/o cruise, and the 4.0 in the years 88-90. I used to work in parts at a few ford dealerships back in the day and learned that just because the part # may be different doesn't mean that it won't fit or work. now this is just my opinion but I think that the ATP Y-924 might be a good replacement for 88-90 in all categories w/o cruise. 88-90 had the same speedometer assy as far as the fitting of the speedo cable, it's just the length that is different. ( this one was 7" longer than the one I replaced (70"))

even the amazon vehicle fitment said that ATP Y924 would not fit my jeep or in any year, but the reviews said other wise. even the illustration showed a different nylon retainer!

but we have some great jeep veterans on CC that can weed through these details and get to a final solution.

one question tho, and that is did they change from w/clip to w/o clip  in mid year on the 87 MJ/and or XJ?

4 hours ago, a bum with money said:

just a suggestion, but have you tried putting the speedo head first? seems strange that it won't go any further than that. do you have another gauge assy you can test it on?

I installed mine in this morning and it fit on the installed speedo in truck.

Yeah, tried pulling trans side off too. Found out that was dumb after looking at speedo side again, it has a limit stop nut or something so it can't go backwards past a point which is probably why it doesn't sit right on the speedo. Cut 1/4 off and locked right on as described. 20180729_124349.jpg.c1e4292a039c20d649fdb3f78de40993.jpg

6 minutes ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

Yeah, tried pulling trans side off too. Found out that was dumb after looking at speedo side again, it has a limit stop nut or something so it can't go backwards past a point which is probably why it doesn't sit right on the speedo. Cut 1/4 off and locked right on as described. 20180729_124349.jpg.c1e4292a039c20d649fdb3f78de40993.jpg

Nice. Way to work it out.

1 minute ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

Ran it to work today.

Works!

Under 40 it jitters quite a bit. Like... sitting at 30mph it jumps 30-34 like it has cerebral palsy.

Once its 42+ it calms down

Thoughts?

The supplied lubricant in them isn't very good.  I lubed mine with dry graphite before installing it, but I think there's probably better products. :dunno: