TRANS fuse keeps blowing.

This had been happening a bunch last year but I'm just now getting around to looking into it. Ever since I got the Jeep my TRANS fuse will blow at random almost every time I drive it. Nothing seems to be different other than the Jeep is no longer in POWER mode, which I hate because Comfort mode is too comfort-ty. What can cause this and what exactly happens with this fuse blown? Just the PC switch not working, or some worse stuff?

I thought when the fuse blows the transmission no longer shifts. I know the diagnostic routine in the 1911 FSM for the AW4 says to remove the fuse and then drive the vehicle by shifting manually. Are you sure you getting shifting, or is it stuck in 4th gear and overworking the torque converter?

1 hour ago, Knucklehead97 said:

This had been happening a bunch last year but I'm just now getting around to looking into it. Ever since I got the Jeep my TRANS fuse will blow at random almost every time I drive it. Nothing seems to be different other than the Jeep is no longer in POWER mode, which I hate because Comfort mode is too comfort-ty. What can cause this and what exactly happens with this fuse blown? Just the PC switch not working, or some worse stuff?

Knuck, stick a 12A or 15A fuse in the TCU slot instead of the normal 10A. I had one that always blew a 10A fuse, stuck a 15A in and it worked fine for years. Might be a good idea to check the connector and make sure all the grounds are solid to the TCU also.

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

I thought when the fuse blows the transmission no longer shifts. I know the diagnostic routine in the 1911 FSM for the AW4 says to remove the fuse and then drive the vehicle by shifting manually. Are you sure you getting shifting, or is it stuck in 4th gear and overworking the torque converter?

It's definitely shifting. My exhaust is loud and I can hear the change of tone and my REM's RPM gauge goes down like it's shifting. Don, I'll definitely try that. 10 seemed too small for it. When I first got the Jeep it had a 7.5amp in it...

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

TRANS fuse is for the NSS and reverse light circuit. 

The fuse under the passenger dash is main power feed to TCU.

2 different animals.

Where's the TRANS fuse on a Renix?

1 hour ago, Knucklehead97 said:

In the fuse box. I didn't even know of the one under the passenger dash...

Yup. 7.5 amp just to the left of that red wire.

It's the reverse lamp circuit.

The one under the dash on the passenger side is TCU power wire. 

100929881_Fuseboxfront.thumb.jpg.a0bb5c9e1e9c07ab91eea16baea0b56e.jpg

8 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Drawing less power would be less likely to blow a fuse, unless poor quality lights were shorting to ground, or you've got some incredibly bright LED's there.

My wording wasn't the best on that post due to me being extremely tired and on my way to sleep at the time. I think the LED lights helped STOP the fuse from blowing due to drawing less power. They're bright led's but not bright enough to draw that much amperage!