Speedometer cable removal ( gauge cluster )

can't seem to figure out how to disconnect speedo cable from back of speedometer on my 88 mj, 2wd, a/t. Couldnt find any definitive posts or videos. There are 2 retainers ( I'm presuming anyway ). One you can't see.

20180715_104151.jpg.6f1acde01093d05116c4fa3b0091e1b4.jpg

Trying to do gauge ugrade to instruments. So far so good until this. as you can see I haven't figured out how to undo the cable from the shift indicator as well.

may go with Ididit indicator  kit on column, not sure. I like the cut-out idea on the tach to keep the original indicator too.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

um, you should just have to press a release on the speedometer cable, older 84-86 had a retainers on the cluster .  I might not be describing it well enough but it's a by touch sort of thing

yeah, I have somewhat good access to the thing. I just can't figure out what exactly is holding it in place. I've seen the ones that have a single release. but this one appears to have 2, a 180 apart.

thanks for chiming in tho.

6 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Disconnect the cable from the trans and you should be able to pull the cluster out on your lap and then see to disconnect. 

tried that already. apparently  the trans indicator cable is still hooked up and restricting movement to see at either end how to unhooked it. can't quite get in there to see what is necessary to unhook the cable. I'm not as bendable as I used to be, LOL.

IIRC you just pinch the retainers which will release it from the circular groove on the metal receptacle.  The groove is toward the body of the cluster.  Pull straight out or back and it should come out.  All this being if you can get your hand in there.  Mine has enough length on the cable if I pull on it.  Yours looks like it has some rust on it (you do live in OR after all where everything either rusts or mildews, I speak from experience) so there may be rust on the end of the cable that inserts into the receptacle.  Meaning you are going to have to pull hard.

21 minutes ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

Do you have cruise control ? If so it’s a two piece cable the the part for the cluster going to a junction box type deal near the fire wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no cruise control, ( but maybe down the road )

8 minutes ago, rokinn said:

IIRC you just pinch the retainers which will release it from the circular groove on the metal receptacle.  The groove is toward the body of the cluster.  Pull straight out or back and it should come out.  All this being if you can get your hand in there.  Mine has enough length on the cable if I pull on it.  Yours looks like it has some rust on it (you do live in OR after all where everything either rusts or mildews, I speak from experience) so there may be rust on the end of the cable that inserts into the receptacle.  Meaning you are going to have to pull hard.

I've been pinching what looks like the retainers, but they seem be not functioning all together. they've been in there since 88 I guess so maybe your right. I'll stick to it.

thanks for all the input. 

how many different speedo cable retainers are they? I'm only aware of two, the single clip 84-86, and the single push to release87-90?. this one doesn't seem fit in those two. 

I can spin it around freely, doesn't seem to be stuck or anything.  this thing really has me stumped. I hate to have to cut the cable.

does anyone recognize this type of fitting?

1 hour ago, a bum with money said:

how many different speedo cable retainers are they? I'm only aware of two, the single clip 84-86, and the single push to release87-90?. this one doesn't seem fit in those two. 

I can spin it around freely, doesn't seem to be stuck or anything.  this thing really has me stumped. I hate to have to cut the cable.

does anyone recognize this type of fitting?

The cable in your photo is the '87 - '90 type. It is a pinch-to-release retainer. If yours doesn't come off, either you're not pinching in the right place or you're not pinching enough. There is no "single push to release" type.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

The cable in your photo is the '87 - '90 type. It is a pinch-to-release retainer. If yours doesn't come off, either you're not pinching in the right place or you're not pinching enough. There is no "single push to release" type.

I was able to release the speedometer cable after forcing it in a better position. These are like the " child proof" type caps you see on some prescription medicine bottles.

Thanks Eagle for the great info......

I could of swore I saw a "one retainer clip" on some video sometime, oh well.

Tomorrow I will tackle the shift indicator wire. Any ideas on how to get it unhooked?

Thanks again