Let's talk generators

Strokermjcomanche

Long story short, a guy wants to trade me (even trade ) a Honda eu2000 generator with less than 5 hours on it for my duromax 10,000 XE generator with probably 25 hours on it . 

I would like a quiet generator to power a small a/c unit etc (for camping ) and as most people that have generators know you never use them unless you sell them lol. I do have a small Coleman 3750 unit that I can use too , good or bad idea ? Just looking for opinions, thanks 

Should have asked what it takes to start your camping a/c unit.  Starting takes more juce than running the a/c.  Can your Coleman start the A/C?

Had a 1000 watt Honda for years. Wonderful,quiet generator. But for an RV a/c, 2 of the Honda eu 2000's were required.

I think the Honda 2K will be fine for camping. It'll power that small A/C and some lights and other small appliances with ease. A 10K is way overkill for camping. We had a Honda 5K when we lived in Guam for the lights and ref when the power went out as it always did. Never failed us, and super quiet. I have a Chicago 7K now we use for the same thing, but it's noisy as hell. I'd like the Honda especially if the 5hrs is true.

2 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

I think the Honda 2K will be fine for camping. It'll power that small A/C and some lights and other small appliances with ease. A 10K is way overkill for camping. We had a Honda 5K when we lived in Guam for the lights and ref when the power went out as it always did. Never failed us, and super quiet. I have a Chicago 7K now we use for the same thing, but it's noisy as hell. I'd like the Honda especially if the 5hrs is true.

Good to know , thanks. I used the 10k once when the power went out , other than that it never gets used (I still run it occasionally and keep fresh gas/stabil in it ) . 

I've used a ton of those Honda EU1000i/EU2000i generators.   They're rock solid and will handle a way larger surge load than they're rated for.  I've used them for weeks on end with no issues.

If it won't start your A/C, you might still be able to find a larger start capacitor for it to make it work.

A 2000 won't start a RV AC unit. Most 30 amp units require 4000 watts to start it and about 1500 to run them.

A start capacitor will help short term but will eventually fry the generator.

There are home window AC units you can use that the Honda will start and run.