Oil pressure

I've always interpreted oil pressure gauges pretty loosely. So long as it shows some and goes up and down with rpm... Yeah it should be sitting around halfway up the gauge when it's at a normal cruising rpm, but beyond that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Not to mention my metric cluster has the oil pressure without units, it just has 0 at the bottom, 3 in the middle, and 5.4 at the top. 

It's like with oil on the dipstick. Sometimes it just seems like you need a longer one to reach your oil... :nuts: When I changed it in the '93 ZJ recently I dumped in the capacity in the manual, then added another quart to bring it up to the full line. 

What brand of oil pressure sender did you use?   Back when I haunted the XJ forums, it was the general consensus that certain sensors should ALWAYS be Chrysler OEM brand for the best results.  (This was particularly true of the CPS.)

I don't know if the oil pressure sender is that finicky, but some non-OEM sensors don't play well with the instrument panel, and maybe this is your problem.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:21 AM, gogmorgo said:

I've always interpreted oil pressure gauges pretty loosely. So long as it shows some and goes up and down with rpm... Yeah it should be sitting around halfway up the gauge when it's at a normal cruising rpm, but beyond that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Not to mention my metric cluster has the oil pressure without units, it just has 0 at the bottom, 3 in the middle, and 5.4 at the top.

The gauge is in bar.  The metric unit of pressure (but not SI, although it is basically a SI unit because 1 bar = 100,000 pascals).

But yeah, the factory gauge is more of a "You've got pressure bud, stop worryin' aboot it" type of gauge.