Serpentine Belt Replacement

I was able to loosen the power steering pump bolts and back off the tensioning bolt. However, it doesn't seem to loosen quite enough to slip the belt off. Or, more importantly, loose enough to potentially get the new one on. When I look at the pump, the upper back bolt goes through a slotted hole and the bolt is at the bottom of the slot, so no more movement there.

Lots of variables in the mix... is the previous belt the right size? I don't think the A/C was not factory installed, so perhaps that pulley is too large? Or perhaps one of the other pulleys got replaced and isn't the correct diameter?

I've also seen two different lengths listed -- 102" and 102.56" -- but can't find the length for the factory part number: 53002899.

Luckily dayco makes a 103" belt too:

http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-catalog-1?part_type=20&length_search=102.5&num_ribs=6

So I guess, I can just try going slightly larger.

If anyone has come across this problem before, information would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, LittleBoJeep88 said:

I was able to loosen the power steering pump bolts and back off the tensioning bolt. However, it doesn't seem to loosen quite enough to slip the belt off. Or, more importantly, loose enough to potentially get the new one on.

I'm not sure if the Renix bracket is the same as an HO bracket, but on an HO the power steering bracket is locked into place with three bolts, and if I recall correctly, they are 1/2" and there's one at the front and two in the rear.  You have to loosen those before you try to move the pump using the tensioner bolt.  It should move, and if it doesn't it's probably corroded together and needs to be convinced to move with a pry bar.

I'd recommend a Continental (used to be branded as Goodyear Gatorback) for the belt.

10 hours ago, dvitha said:

Well if you can't get it off either un bolt your alternator or your compressor.

No. The adjustment is at the power steering pump. You should never have to remove the alternator or a/c compressor to install a new belt.

Yes I know the adjustment is at power steering pump. However if for some odd reason one can't remove the belt, which one I can't think of one off hand, you could pull the bolt on alternator or your compressor.

2 hours ago, dvitha said:

Yes I know the adjustment is at power steering pump. However if for some odd reason one can't remove the belt, which one I can't think of one off hand, you could pull the bolt on alternator or your compressor.

Personally, I'd cut the belt.

The belt was stretched on by some PO and it's too short (if the OP loosened all the necessary bolts to swing the PS pump all the way). Cut the thing off, measure it, then but a new one slightly longer that fits correctly. Then buy a spare, it won't break the bank. Why would you want to keep a too-short belt?