ROUGH running off-idle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I read earlier you changed the fuel filter initially. If so or if not it would be a good idea to at least disconnect it and drain it to see what comes out. Especially since your still running that tank and sender without cleaning either first. That is some large rust scaling taking place that could easily clog a fresh filter again as well as a pump filter. You can easily test by extending your fuel sender lines and rollover vent valve tube without having to hang and drop the tank over and over. I think there is a couple of plastic body zip ties to cut or release to give enough slack with hard lines to do this and the electrical plug to sender which will allow you to keep the tank on the ground. I have done this temporarily in the past before. I do not let the gas sit in the tank like that though not sealed. I have always just put a couple gallons in and would pour it back in a can to keep it fresh. It would not have taken much more effort though to remove the 3 8mms? on the cap filler neck I suppose and even put that on so it would be sealed completely and not have to be dumped back and forth. Of course once you plan all this and get setup, you know you will find your problem this last time. Good luck.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:37 PM, saveevryjp1998 said:

I thought I read earlier you changed the fuel filter initially. If so or if not it would be a good idea to at least disconnect it and drain it to see what comes out. Especially since your still running that tank and sender without cleaning either first. That is some large rust scaling taking place that could easily clog a fresh filter again as well as a pump filter. You can easily test by extending your fuel sender lines and rollover vent valve tube without having to hang and drop the tank over and over. I think there is a couple of plastic body zip ties to cut or release to give enough slack with hard lines to do this and the electrical plug to sender which will allow you to keep the tank on the ground. I have done this temporarily in the past before. I do not let the gas sit in the tank like that though not sealed. I have always just put a couple gallons in and would pour it back in a can to keep it fresh. It would not have taken much more effort though to remove the 3 8mms? on the cap filler neck I suppose and even put that on so it would be sealed completely and not have to be dumped back and forth. Of course once you plan all this and get setup, you know you will find your problem this last time. Good luck.

Yes I did change out the fuel filter at the same time as the pump change.  I'm planning on buying a new fuel tank shortly though just to avoid any issues moving forward, no pun intended.  I was really amazed at the amount of rust!

Thank you for all the support guys!!  CPS should get here by the weekend and I will update as soon as I can get it installed.  

Dustin