Power Steering pump replacement ?

Hi guys,

Replaced my power steering pump but didn’t change the filter. The noise went away for a few weeks after I changed the pump but it’s back. Makes it when in motion and when I move the steering wheel. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless someone added an external, there's no filter. Did you "bleed" the new pump after filling it with fresh fluid? You bleed it by starting it up after installation, then turning the steering wheel stop-to-stop in place until the reservoir stops bubbling air. What are you driving?

Unless someone added an external, there's no filter. Did you "bleed" the new pump after filling it with fresh fluid? You bleed it by starting it up after installation, then turning the steering wheel stop-to-stop in place until the reservoir stops bubbling air. What are you driving?

Yes sir!

1989 4.0 L, Automatic, Base Model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86 2wd 2.5 4spd; 92 2wd 2.5 5spd swb; 88 2wd 4.0 lwb auto olympic pioneer; 88 4wd 4.0 auto swb; 91 2wd 4.0 auto lwb; 92 2wd 4.0 auto swb. These are the complete trucks. I probably have enough to build 3 more if I use xj fronts to mate up with the mj backs.

The bag it came in says"power steering pressure switch part#53000970

87-95 yj

84-97 xj"

Its blue looks like the one on autozones website and has the number

895000970 100 96 and thats all I can tell you now except I also bought a chrome front grill insert too for 20 bucks from them. It seems like the parts are starting to expand on their site since last Id been there. I don't visit them much though. I rarely buy new but some of its so cheap on there and a good buy its not worth spending the precious junkyard time pulling those parts I can buy new there.

Yes. If someone could tell me how to post a picture on here I'd be in heaven and glad to show you as well as start many write ups. I don't know if its my cheap phone or what. I do not have a computer or digital camera, I use my phone for it all.
Sure! Are you using the tapatalk app for access to the club forum or using your main internet browser?

Tapatalk is the easiest by far to add pictures.

You simply start a thread and in the body of the thread there is a button to attach pictures or files etc.. you push that button and it accesses your phones picture library. Select the picture you want or multiples and hit send. Give them a minute to load and attach into the body of your message and once they load, hit the Go button or arrow or whatever is the enter button on your app. They should easily post in the thread, a reply within a thread or even a PM.

Is this helpful? Give it a shot in the test section of the forum!

Just replaced the PS pump on my 87 4.0.   The PS rebuilders recommend (or insist) that an in-line filter be placed in the return line  to the pump or it voids the warranty.

I got my pump from Rockauto and went with one remanufactured by Delco-Remy (at double the cost) because it was a Genersl Motors pump originally. Reading the description of the services it was more thorough than the others. My thought was they should know what they're doing because they made them originally. There are too many rebuilders out there taking shortcuts and putting out bad parts.

As a side nore, a sticker said it was remanned in Mexico and that's ok with me as long as it is quality work. So far, knock on wood, it's still good after 100 miles.