Both new assembly and old run out of the truck hot wired/jumped or on the normal plug. Primes when i hit the key and everything. But as soon as any piece of either assembly touch the tank, it will not work. Or the hot wire lead wants to burn up. I'm stumped. Drop the tank and inspect above it? Idk...

'll have to look at my old photographs but if I'm not mistaken there are two wires that go through the assembly to the outside of the tank that's the hot to the pump in the wire to the sending unit the pump itself is grounded to the assembly

Did you check to see if there was continuity between the hot wire and the assembly itself in other words is the hot wire grounding out through the assembly if you say you have them trouble on on both of them I would guess not but I'm wondering if you're using the sender wire as a ground

That would make sense. Except they both work out of the tank sitting on a piece of wood on the ground even by the plug coming from the truck. Itll prime when i hit the key. So its something to do with the tank itself. Both assemblies are fine I'm more than sure. Also there are three wires for the pump plug, a ground, the sender unit (float) and the power to pump.

And when i put it in the tank with out the gasket it almost started when it primed and ran but seems to not have enough pressure. But i think thats because its letting air in with out the gasket in. So still at a loss. 

So i put a ground on the skid plate bolt to frame. Also noticed my old pump assembly missing a rubber boot on the end that insulates it. And that the PO had the pump in wrong! I have never done one on this style tank before and didn't realize until now. So thats why it shorted, it was touching the inside of the tank. I installed the new assembly correctly and plugged her in and I'm good. She's alive again.