Glasspack

I ran a glasspack behind my cat converter, with a turndown tip under the bed in front of the rear axle.  It sounded like pure @$$.  Swapped it out with a thrush welded....much, much, much (did I say much?) better.

A glass pack for a six cylinder is only good for toning down droning. When I put on my split 2.5" dual exhaust system, and the ~2100RPM droning would rattle your teeth. Stuck on a glass pack in place of the original catalytic converter - droning gone.  exhaust2.jpg.0b25eb40855ae72c6359328970552d81.jpg

Here is what a 2.5 will sound like with dual glass packs. 

Yes, they sound terrible behind the 2.5 and they'll sound similar behind the 4.0. I'll likely use them when I go V8, so I don't care what they sound like now. 

Those who complain about droning, it depends on where they are placed, my are at the end, just behind the rear bumper and are not turned down. Virtually no drone inside the cab. 

You can't use a glass pack as the primary muffler, it will sound like crap on all inline engines. I installed the glass pack in front of my main dual outlet muffler and it eliminated all droning at all RPMs. Where it's placed depends on the headers used, exhaust pipe size, and to a lesser extent engine size.

I have a glasspack on my XJ.  It was the cheapest stainless steel muffler that Summits sells that would actually fit.  The brand is reassuringly called Pypes.

IMHO it's not awesome on a daily just because it's too loud anyways.  And it doesn't matter if it's a I4, V8, W16, R32, whatever, it's just going to be loud and annoying.  However, I don't think it sounds bad, it's just loud.  I could attempt to capture the sound if somebody was interested, since I'm going to have to drive the thing out of the shop shortly, and it will be a full throttle assault due to the snow.

My plow truck (400 SBC with some basic bolt on stuff, long tube headers, intake manifold, propane, etc) used to have dual 2.5" with glasspacks, it was so loud it was undriveable for any period of time at speeds and people generally assumed I didn't have any sort of muffler.  I replaced them with some cheap welded chamber mufflers (Raptors) and it improved it a lot, to the point at least I'm not setting off car alarms or hating it.  That said it probably could have been made a lot better by putting some bends after the glasspacks and throwing decent downturns on it.

My old MJ (4L) had a Thrush Red Hot with the stack, it was okay because the sound is largely directed upwards, and adding a 90* bend a bunch more tube doesn't hurt.

If you want maximum annoyance factor I highly recommend whistle tips.

I have a glasspack on my XJ.  It was the cheapest stainless steel muffler that Summits sells that would actually fit.  The brand is reassuringly called Pypes.

IMHO it's not awesome on a daily just because it's too loud anyways.  And it doesn't matter if it's a I4, V8, W16, R32, whatever, it's just going to be loud and annoying.  However, I don't think it sounds bad, it's just loud.  I could attempt to capture the sound if somebody was interested, since I'm going to have to drive the thing out of the shop shortly, and it will be a full throttle assault due to the snow.

My plow truck (400 SBC with some basic bolt on stuff, long tube headers, intake manifold, propane, etc) used to have dual 2.5" with glasspacks, it was so loud it was undriveable for any period of time at speeds and people generally assumed I didn't have any sort of muffler.  I replaced them with some cheap welded chamber mufflers (Raptors) and it improved it a lot, to the point at least I'm not setting off car alarms or hating it.  That said it probably could have been made a lot better by putting some bends after the glasspacks and throwing decent downturns on it.

My old MJ (4L) had a Thrush Red Hot with the stack, it was okay because the sound is largely directed upwards, and adding a 90* bend a bunch more tube doesn't hurt.

If you want maximum annoyance factor I highly recommend whistle tips.

The whistle tip goes whooo whooooooooooooooooo

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

2 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Here is what a 2.5 will sound like with dual glass packs. 

Yes, they sound terrible behind the 2.5 and they'll sound similar behind the 4.0. I'll likely use them when I go V8, so I don't care what they sound like now. 

Those who complain about droning, it depends on where they are placed, my are at the end, just behind the rear bumper and are not turned down. Virtually no drone inside the cab. 

These didn't sound bad to me at idle.  If I had to guess I'd think it was a diesel.  When it revs though it sounds like a rice rocket.  Lol