Another idle issue post

First off, I have an 87 MJ 4.0 5 spd and yes I have cleaned the throttle body, iac, and adjusted the tps. Also have done most of cruisers tips on grounds and other stuff. Also have a REM Clock panel version.

1. First, every time I push my clutch in at a stoplight or to change gears I noticed It makes my engine idle 1000rpm higher.

2. Also is the egr valve suppose to be opening and closing while cruising down the highway and such because mine is not according to my REM as well as my vacuum pressure goes down the more I press the gas pedal. Not sure if it's suppose to go up or down.

3. Throttle body was pretty dirty. Was soaked with oil as well as air filter and box had oil in bottom of it. Ideas where it might be coming from.

20180127_130653.jpg

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

#3 Your valve cover has a line that blows the excess crank case pressure in to your intake hose over your air filter. if your getting way to much pressure it will start squirting oil. that orifice tube that you have on back of valve cover must be clogged. Either clean it out, or convert to a pcv valve.

I did the pcv valve and on front where your oil is coming from, I got a small breather filter.

1# So it idles at almost 2k? or you mean it is idling around 1k?

2# have you check to see if your egr is opening and closing right? Also is the vacuum lines hooked up right? if your in a non inspection or smog checking state, county, you can egr delete, or just remove the vacuum line and that comes from intake to the valve on your right fender and plug it.

#3 Your valve cover has a line that blows the excess crank case pressure in to your intake hose over your air filter. if your getting way to much pressure it will start squirting oil. that orifice tube that you have on back of valve cover must be clogged. Either clean it out, or convert to a pcv valve.

I did the pcv valve and on front where your oil is coming from, I got a small breather filter.

1# So it idles at almost 2k? or you mean it is idling around 1k?

2# have you check to see if your egr is opening and closing right? Also is the vacuum lines hooked up right? if your in a non inspection or smog checking state, county, you can egr delete, or just remove the vacuum line and that comes from intake to the valve on your right fender and plug it.

1. It idles normally around 700-900 until it starts to warm up then the idle slowly increases by the 100's the longer the engine runs and sometimes when I First start it up it starts right away around 2k and never goes down. I can shut it off and restart and it will sometimes jump up and then go back to where its suppose to idle or it will idle even higher than 2k. One day I started it and it went straight to 3k.

3. The grommet and tube on back of valve cover are brand new as well as all the vacuum lines on and around the intake.

2. The egr is working as its suppose to I assume. It cycles open and closed at idle (700-900rpm) but only at idle. just wasn't sure how often its suppose to cycle when the egr opens the engine runs slightly smoother. I live in arkansas no inspections here.

I do know my coolant temp sender on side of block is bad and my exhaust is pretty much non existent after the cat. Haven't been able to change the coolant temp sensor cause its been really cold and have no idea how to get to it without taking the intake off.

I didn't know the REM monitored the EGR, are you sure you're not looking at the open loop/closed loop settings?

The REM shows whether its in open/closed loop as well as whether the egr solenoid is on or off which would tell you if the valve is open or closed.

EGR valve is to remains closed until the engine is warm and is operating under load, so around 1500rpms and up. it is not designed to open on idle at all. There is no need for EGR to open up at idle, so if it is opening up at idle somethings wrong. Since no inspection, unplug the vacuum line to your egr valve and plug it.

Now the high idles I suspect either a bad iac valve or a leak. leak could be intake gasket, could be throttle body, or a vacuum line. get some carb cleaner and spray around intake, and vacuum lines.

I find when the iac valve is not working is gets stuck all the way out or in. causing super low idle or super high idle. The iac should close when you are revving and then open back up as rpms drop. I would check there after you did above.