New 0331 head on a 7120

Ordered a remaned 7120 head from Clearwater today and the sales guy was trying to push a new 0331 on me. I was skeptical so I went with the reman. I wanted to get your guys opinion since I was under the impression that the intake needed to be cleared for it to flow correctly?

5 minutes ago, tugalo said:

I seem to remember that the 0331 head was the one that caused all the cracks between #3 and 4 pistons on the year 2000 XJ.

It is but the 2004ish years they started reinforcing the casting to prevent it. Those are the ones that are sold as 'new' and don't have the same issues. Putting one on a 1992 would involve having to port the intake which is a waste of time for me. Not going to be racing just don't want my vehicle over heating on the way to work lol

I think the latter ones 02-up are referred to as TUPY.  I am going with a 7120 for my stroker. I have it on an 03 block presently. I put Chevy valves in it. The 0330 exhaust ports are about 1/2 the size of the other heads. The 7120 is suppose to flow a bit better than the 0630, but I don't think much. The 0630 has hoes for the locator pins.

2 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I think the latter ones 02-up are referred to as TUPY.  I am going with a 7120 for my stroker. I have it on an 03 block presently. I put Chevy valves in it. The 0330 exhaust ports are about 1/2 the size of the other heads. The 7120 is suppose to flow a bit better than the 0630, but I don't think much. The 0630 has hoes for the locator pins.

Damn shame Chrysler's suppliers in the States couldn't built a cylinder head back in 00 w/o it cracking and TUPY in Brazil had to bail them out. If my head ever cracks I'd be going with an aluminum head from Hesco if I can find one, or the Edelbrock version.

17 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

If my head ever cracks I'd be going with an aluminum head from Hesco if I can find one, or the Edelbrock version.

It's really unfortunate that Edelbrock didn't spend more time trying to get their head to flow better.  If it did it would be a lot easier to justify the price.

13 hours ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

If my '02 Grand Cherokee has the TUPY head, would it be a good choice to put on my '87 4.0?

What is wrong with your '87 head? I'd probably have it rebuilt before I  went through putting on a different era head. With the RENIX motor, you have to adapt the Throttle body. Also, I'd say you'd lose some power.

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

What is wrong with your '87 head? I'd probably have it rebuilt before I  went through putting on a different era head. With the RENIX motor, you have to adapt the Throttle body. Also, I'd say you'd lose some power.

Prove it on a dyno then I'll believe it. Just like Cruiser's "HO myth" that appears on here about once a week.   :crazy:

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

That's an opinion that seems to go against the grain.

9 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Prove it on a dyno then I'll believe it. Just like Cruiser's "HO myth" that appears on here about once a week.   :crazy:

How does the HP of a TUPY head go against the grain??? IE it has smaller exhaust ports. No, I have not nor have the resources to prove it on a DYNO.  To my knowledge DC did some other improvements to gain back some HP losses. Yes, I am aware that the size of the port is not totally indicative of the flow. I also pointed out that there would need to be other modifications, ie adapting the Throttle Body.

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

How does the HP of a TUPY head go against the grain??? IE it has smaller exhaust ports. No, I have not nor have the resources to prove it on a DYNO.  To my knowledge DC did some other improvements to gain back some HP losses. Yes, I am aware that the size of the port is not totally indicative of the flow. I also pointed out that there would need to be other modifications, ie adapting the Throttle Body.

My reason for wanting to swap the head would be to have a better flowing intake, injectors and throttle body as well as more choices and better exhaust options. I realize I would have to adapt my renix tps to fit on the new TB and would have to change/modify the kickdown cable going to he transmission and power steering pump but after making the change replacing parts will be much easier going forward. Not to mention I currently have a fuel sending unit issue that I would like to eliminate by upgrading the tank and pump. 

8 minutes ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

My reason for wanting to swap the head would be to have a better flowing intake, injectors and throttle body as well as more choices and better exhaust options. I realize I would have to adapt my renix tps to fit on the new TB and would have to change/modify the kickdown cable going to he transmission and power steering pump but after making the change replacing parts will be much easier going forward. Not to mention I currently have a fuel sending unit issue that I would like to eliminate by upgrading the tank and pump. 

I don't think that is the full aspect of what you want to do. There is a recent thread on swapping on the latter intake. I think you were the OP on that. I don't see where it would give you better options on the exhaust. After market headers should fit the RENIX.  Look at injector swaps for the RENIX (Volvo). Not sure as to the fuel sending unit etc. , but that might be a lot of changes and update to a newer wiring/EMC. The TUPY head is not the best flowing head. Stroker people don't use it, as far as I know.

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

After market headers should fit the RENIX.

Careful.  Lots won't.  They hit the intake runners, not the flange, you can't just grind something to make them work.

You can give up flow on your exhaust ports (the valves are smaller anyways) without losing power providing the intake ports flow better, as in the intake side is more critical.

No, stroker guys don't use that head.  If you're spending that much building an engine you're going to get the best head, it only makes sense at that point.  It's a little different scenario when you have the head sitting around.

14 minutes ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

And how would you know the full aspect of what I want to do, Miss Cleo? Have you been looking at your crystal ball again?

No, when your clear of what your plan is, then maybe . From your post your all over the map. If you want to put on a 0330 head go for it. Do a dyno test. Let us know how it goes. Miss Cleo says you'll lose power.

2 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

No, stroker guys don't use that head.  If you're spending that much building an engine you're going to get the best head, it only makes sense at that point.

Got that right Dirty. Possibly someone's using one, but I haven't heard of any. The TUPY head supposedly tests for the best flow after port matching, but the gain isn't worth the risk IMO. More betta are intake mods like stated, like using the newer horseshoe intake. That little mod alone added 12HP on the dyno.

Dyno2small.jpg.f01b7712fd82ca1eb3550675b96faa19.jpg