New 0331 head on a 7120

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

Good to see the dyno results. First this is on a stroker motor, correct? I take it that the HP measurement was take on the rear wheels. I think that it specific HP. The dyno runs were taken on two different days?

The engine is a 4.6L Hesco stroker, and the dyno runs were taken on separate days, one with the stock intake, the other with the 01 intake. One dyno run is superimposed on the other, the same dyno was used for both runs as it should be. The dyno measures rear wheel HP and torque, and the manifold only gave good increases in both. A stock engine of course wouldn't have increases like that, and I'm not going speculate what the gains would be. But there would be gains and better drivability.

I had this done because mainly because I got sick of all the BS regarding the intake swap from the stroker guys and other "butt dyno" fools that don't know what they are talking about. But mainly the runs were for my own info. Had more done down the road with other improvements, like in ignition and exhaust.

Another interesting tidbit: When I bought my Hesco stroker originally I was provided the dyno sheet from the original test stand dyno test run. I noticed on the first dyno run I had after the install the RW HP/Torque measurements were approximately 30% less, indicating drivetrain loss. My rig has an AW4, and that was normal; good reliable tranny but one of the least efficient auto trannys out there. There are ways to lower that loss, but I haven't gotten around to that yet - probably never will. In comparison, the loss for the standard AX15 manual tranny is around 15%, according to the Hesco guys.

36 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

The engine is a 4.6L Hesco stroker, and the dyno runs were taken on separate days, one with the stock intake, the other with the 01 intake. One dyno run is superimposed on the other, the same dyno was used for both runs as it should be. The dyno measures rear wheel HP and torque, and the manifold only gave good increases in both. A stock engine of course wouldn't have increases like that, and I'm not going speculate what the gains would be. But there would be gains and better drivability.

I had this done because mainly because I got sick of all the BS regarding the intake swap from the stroker guys and other "butt dyno" fools that don't know what they are talking about. But mainly the runs were for my own info. Had more done down the road with other improvements, like in ignition and exhaust.

I see flaws on to how the data was taken. Basically, as you pointed out, the runs were taken on separate days. Still, a good point of data. I'm no expert on dyno results. I remember someone reporting results from a dyno, years ago. I thought the results were on a stock motor or possibly some exhaust work. +5 hp.  I made way to many changes to even say on driving impressions.  Was the intake ported or even port matched? The other aspect is you did a lot of work, then changed the intake (??).  So, the intake removed that restriction, to an extent. Dino Silva's results are interesting. Not on a dyno, but seemed good methodology. I'd also be interested in any head modifications. Going the stroker route, and have a kit in shipping.

Most of your questions don't make any sense mate.

Results flawed because dyno runs were taken taken on separate days?

Intake ports were matched and polished.

Simple intake swap from the stock intake to the 99+ intake. No "restrictions" removed.

Known Dino for years. We emailed quite a bit during the various upgrades thru the years. I value his advice highly.

'Results flawed because dyno runs were taken taken on separate days? '

Yes, and to a large extent I don't know how much variables could or would effect results.  The time span was from May to September, correct?  Do you have to deal with summer/winter gas blends? I thought I saw temps and barometric pressure on other Dyno Results. How many miles were on the engine on the first run and then the 2nd run? I know anal questions.

I've never use ethanol fuel in this engine mate. And yes, anal questions.  :laugh:

Anyhow, that's the only reliable way to check supposedly "go fast" upgrades - dyno runs over time using the same dyno machine. Some of the stuff I did was good, some not so good, and the dyno runs gave me a good road map. A not so good mod was new injectors. I threw a set of new Bosch 703 "Neon" 4-holers in, dialed them in the best I could with the fuel rail pressure regulator, A/F meter, and the unreliable butt dyno, and all it did was use more gas. Went back for a dyno run and the engine made more power using the original 53030778 Mopar injectors at 49psi than the 4-holers and got better mileage too.

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

'Results flawed because dyno runs were taken taken on separate days? '

Yes, and to a large extent I don't know how much variables could or would effect results.  The time span was from May to September, correct?  Do you have to deal with summer/winter gas blends? I thought I saw temps and barometric pressure on other Dyno Results. How many miles were on the engine on the first run and then the 2nd run? I know anal questions.

Most, if not all, dynos are corrected to Standard Temperature and Pressure by the dyno software.  Any decent shop has their equipment calibrated from time to time.  These things make test results from one day to the next comparable.  Well within a reasonable margin of measurement/error.

Even with 6 pulls one right after the other, no two pulls will be EXACTLY the same.

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

I've never use ethanol fuel in this engine mate. And yes, anal questions.  :laugh:

Anyhow, that's the only reliable way to check supposedly "go fast" upgrades - dyno runs over time using the same dyno machine. Some of the stuff I did was good, some not so good, and the dyno runs gave me a good road map. A not so good mod was new injectors. I threw a set of new Bosch 703 "Neon" 4-holers in, dialed them in the best I could with the fuel rail pressure regulator, A/F meter, and the unreliable butt dyno, and all it did was use more gas. Went back for a dyno run and the engine made more power using the original 53030778 Mopar injectors at 49psi than the 4-holers and got better mileage too.

Aren't the Neons a lower pressure? I thought about 18-21 was stock. That Strokers needed a 24-27 lb.

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

Aren't the Neons a lower pressure? I thought about 18-21 was stock. That Strokers needed a 24-27 lb.

You can run them at any pressure you want (within range) with an adjustable FPR. You set them up to run at the correct Air/Fuel ratio using an A/F meter. For me it's normally around 40psi (w. vac) 50psi (w/o vac). For the Bosch 0280155703's the nominal pressure is ~43psi.