23gal Fuel Sending Unit

14 hours ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

Yes. That looks like the pump that came out of my '87 long bed. 

Did your truck have the 23gal fuel tank? Long beds came with either 18 or 23gal and the FSU was different for each size. My truck has the 23gal tank so need that FSU model...

39 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Nobody has answered your question Adam. The above looks like an XJ sender to me. Here's a pic of an HO 23-gal sender:

4.thumb.jpg.6b3258d9ec579a1bbc024d6fa5bc8d9b.jpg

I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion,  but it looks like the lines come straight out . I've never seen an MJ sender that didn't have curved lines , which is why I was wondering... 

3 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion,  but it looks like the lines come straight out . I've never seen an MJ sender that didn't have curved lines , which is why I was wondering... 

Nor have I.

And speaking of HO senders Don, while searching for info on the 23gal sender units, I ran across this piece on Four Wheeler Network where they used an HO fuel sending unit in a Renix MJ and said they had no issues with it. Thoughts?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/154-0807-1989-jeep-comanche-six-speed-transmission-swap/photo-09.html

That article is full of crap. The ohm range of the potentiometer sender has nothing to do with the output fuel pressure. The pot's only function is to feed a variable voltage to the fuel gauge. The HO's and Renix use the same fuel pump; the output pressure is the same for both. The operational pressure the injectors see is determined by the fuel rail pressure regulator. The HO FPR will be higher. The Renix and HO fuel gauges will both indicate with either sender too,  but will indicate 180* out because the output DC voltages are opposite polarities for the Renix and HO gauges. 

21 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

That article is full of crap. The ohm range of the potentiometer sender has nothing to do with the output fuel pressure. The pot's only function is to feed a variable voltage to the fuel gauge. The HO's and Renix use the same fuel pump; the output pressure is the same for both. The operational pressure the injectors see is determined by the fuel rail pressure regulator. The HO FPR will be higher. The Renix and HO fuel gauges will both indicate with either sender too,  but will indicate 180* out because the output DC voltages are opposite polarities for the Renix and HO gauges. 

Soooooo.......you're saying an HO FSU can be used or not? LOL :dunno:

Yes, but the fuel gauge will read backwards because of the opposite polarity and not accurately since the sender potentiometers are of different ohm values.  I haven't done it personally, but others on the forum have and live with the wonky gauge. 

On 1/14/2018 at 6:02 PM, WahooSteeler said:

Did your truck have the 23gal fuel tank? Long beds came with either 18 or 23gal and the FSU was different for each size. My truck has the 23gal tank so need that FSU model...

Mine came with the 16 gallon tank. So I don't know if anything I'm saying is helping. Sorry. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:14 PM, HOrnbrod said:

Nobody has answered your question Adam. The above looks like an XJ sender to me. Here's a pic of an HO 23-gal sender:

4.thumb.jpg.6b3258d9ec579a1bbc024d6fa5bc8d9b.jpg

Don, if I am correct you have a couple units so could you possibly take a picture or two of them in the same orientation as the one(s) I've posted? Having confirmed that the one I posted does indeed have curved lines, therefore an MJ unit, it would be helpful to determine if the one I posted is indeed from a 23.5gal tank since we know for a fact yours is. Thanks for any help!

49 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Don, if I am correct you have a couple units so could you possibly take a picture or two of them in the same orientation as the one(s) I've posted? Having confirmed that the one I posted does indeed have curved lines, therefore an MJ unit, it would be helpful to determine if the one I posted is indeed from a 23.5gal tank since we know for a fact yours is. Thanks for any help!

Here's one with measurements - yours should be close to this..

5a5e1ac79e0ee_MJSender2Dim.jpg.b2c22bd259c5e49d493a2fbf4aefd500.jpg

4 hours ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

No but it uses 3 straps (like the 23 gallon, I’m told.) I’ll measure later today...

Here’s what it looks like out of the truck:

8014781.JPG

Thanks for the help, anxious to see what you come back with. That sure looks identical in size to the later 18gal models. I have seen comments that said the 16gal model was an 18gal shell with compartments/baffles to reduce the capacity down to 16gal. Strange approach by Jeep to do that, but they certainly did a lot of stuff then that didn't make sense. I'm mainly curious about the height measurement. The only difference in the 18gal and 23gal tank dimensions is the length, which is supported by the fact that the FSU is the same model # for both size tanks. Since the 16gal tank is a different part #, I have assumed it was not as tall (deep) as the 18/23gal versions. Until learning this recently, I thought the 23gal FSU was a standalone part but an 18gal FSU is the same part, which at least adds more chances of finding one that will work in a 23gal truck. Whew............that's a mouthful! 

On 1/16/2018 at 10:32 AM, HOrnbrod said:

Here's one with measurements - yours should be close to this..

5a5e1ac79e0ee_MJSender2Dim.jpg.b2c22bd259c5e49d493a2fbf4aefd500.jpg

Don, could you take this one step further? What is the length of the float arm from the bend to the end of the retainer clip? A unit I received today had the same dimensions as your picture and the float arm was @5 1/2 inches from bend to end of clip.