So cruising the JY today, I think I found the next project..

rockhardzj

Yea, I was cruising my regular JY today, when I found my next project...

http://swatoffroad.com/images/for%20sal ... 0003_1.JPG (image a bit big for you dial up users)

The rear wheel well areas are the only places with rust. I already brought the tailgate, and the cab vents home. I'm going to talk to my buddy about this one, and see if He will let me bring it home.

If it comes home, the interior is getting stripped at the JY, no if's, and's or butt's. The interior smells like chicken anus mixed with old beer from the mid 50's, with some other wild concoctions mixed in. It's an 86 with the 2.8L

I'm thinking something along this:

n152000533_30326994_4267.jpg

but black, fixed doors, and a little lift to stuff 32's, as well as upgrading the front clip to the 97+ style. Drivetrain? 4bt, turbo 400 and a 231. It already has a 44 out back, and a perfectly good 30 hanging out front. interior would be upgraded with a red WJ dash, steering wheel, and center console (minor trimming with the sawzall :brows: ), red leather seats out of a WJ, and some other doo dads like a sunroof, and overhead console... :D

if it's an 86 it's either a 2.1 diesel (not likely), a 2.5 four cylinder, or a 2.8 six cylinder.

unless the PO did some work to it, that's not a dana 44 rear as in 86 your options were the 35 or the amc 20.

so I'll bet it's a half round basketball shape (not oval...35 is oval) diff cover. that's an AMC 20 which is just as strong as a dana 44 if not moreso, and it is most likely 4.10 gears already.

THAT means it also probably has the tow package on it which means you would have a rear class 3 reciever. keyword being probably.

if it's an 86 it's either a 2.1 diesel (not likely), a 2.5 four cylinder, or a 2.8 six cylinder.

unless the PO did some work to it, that's not a dana 44 rear as in 86 your options were the 35 or the amc 20.

so I'll bet it's a half round basketball shape (not oval...35 is oval) diff cover. that's an AMC 20 which is just as strong as a dana 44 if not moreso, and it is most likely 4.10 gears already.

THAT means it also probably has the tow package on it which means you would have a rear class 3 reciever. keyword being probably.

I didn't actually get a look at the pumpkin, but the shaft ends gave me the crazy eye, saying "44" but I've never actually looked at a 20, so it could be, if the area in the middle of all the studs has a similar design to a 44 shaft.

Yes, 2.8L, my bad, I doesn't study my older MJ's enough, but the tag off the tailgate said 2.8, but that was after I had posted, and I forgot to fix it.

4.10's, eh? :brows: Are lockers available for AMC 20's? Mechanical, electronical, Or air actuated, doesn't matter.

Tow package, I'm almost positive I saw something below the bumper, I was mostly admiring the lack of rust on the cab, it's so pristine.

it'll be a 20 if it's not a 35.

I'm sure stuff is available for it, but I wouldn't even know where to look.

I'll nab a pic of my dad's Renault 86's pumpkin as that is an AMC20 rear axle. not to be confused with the DANA20 which is a t-case

it'll be a 20 if it's not a 35.

I'm sure stuff is available for it, but I wouldn't even know where to look.

I'll nab a pic of my dad's Renault 86's pumpkin as that is an AMC20 rear axle. not to be confused with the DANA20 which is a t-case

I didn't look at the pumpkin, so, a picture of the axle shaft end would do more justice. The JY is about 15-20mins away, so I don't go every day. I've got to talk to hi about a job there, the one I'm waiting on is taking for ever....

An AMC 20 is easy to ident. It's got a big, perfectly round cover, with bolts all the way around it.

There's lots of aftermarket for it... It came in the CJ for many years, so pretty much anything you want can be had. I think a guy can even buy a full floater kit for one...

Truss the $#!& out of it if it is one. They have weak tubes. And they like to spin too.

An AMC 20 is easy to ident. It's got a big, perfectly round cover, with bolts all the way around it.

There's lots of aftermarket for it... It came in the CJ for many years, so pretty much anything you want can be had. I think a guy can even buy a full floater kit for one...

Truss the $#!+ out of it if it is one. They have weak tubes. And they like to spin too.

yeah if not truss, definately weld the tubes to the pumpkin

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet!!! Those bobbed XJ's look enticing!

Hey Joel, I been meaning to ask ya, even though it is a long shot. Being your in Grand Island, do you by chance know an ol" jarhead by the name of Barry Hopkins? I served with him so he'd be in his late 40's.

There's 3 Grand Island's I know of, Mine, not so grand, and I haven't visited the other two. I'm up in NY, I guess i should add that...

Sorry, Name doesn't ring any bells...

Mine will be an MJ base, with some XJ addon's, and WJ comfort/power to boot.