Im changing my name....

kazzx

From Billy...to Idiot. Both axles and diffs were submerged in wet sand....took us about 2 hours to free it. Ended up tipping it on its side and putting logs under it. Then on the way home engine went boom!..i imagine i got water in the rear main.

Before....

Image Not Found

After...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I don't get it though, did you just park there and it sink in (with tide and shifting sand) or did you attempt to drive into it and the swappers just dug you straight down? Either way, that sucks.

Its on the pearl river trails in jackson, ms. I have parked on sandbars on that river many times before with no issues. I was parked there for 15-20 minutes while we took a bathroom and beverage break. Stayed on top the whole time. As soon as i put it in reverse and hit the gas, down she went.

that sucks man, whats the damage to the engine? after gettin my manche sunk i snapped my crankshaft and blew a hole through the block above the oil pan..

ive learned my lesson about deep water..and even mud... ill stick to rocks from now on..

I gotta say... I realize that your tires are swampers...but they look mighty hard...I mean did you air down at all???

I am from the east coast, we have LOTSA sand. You GOTTA air way down and slow as you can fast as you have to REALLY applies!!!

At least you got it out!!

Hope the engine damage is minimal!!

CW

those are some off brand tire not swampers... they look like those old winter snow tires or something, but yea airing down helps alot better

By the time I realized i didnt air down, it was too late.

I saw the same thing happen to a GEO Tracker on Nantucket Island, back in 1993.

Only thing though was it ended up sitting overnight, and let me tell ya the surf from the ocean, (even on the harbor side), had that little tracker sunk right up to the windshield.

It's amazing how quick a little wave action and some sand can suck you in.

On a similar note ALWAYS airdown your tires when driving in the sand. Further don't go to fast, as the centrificul force will counter the effect of lowering the air presure, (TRUST ME I KNOW).

Hope you get away with minimal repairs, good luck.

those are some off brand tire not swampers... they look like those old winter snow tires or something, but yea airing down helps alot better

They are not some off brand. They are 34x10.5 TSL Super Swampers made by interco that also makes Irok, Bogger, thornbirds...ect.

628.jpg

For those of you that don't know...

My comment "I realize they are swampers, but". Was made because swampers have some stiff sidewalls. So when they are newer, or esp in the rear of a light vehicle like our MJ's they sometimes do not flex or deform even at single digit pressures.

Increasing you footprint is an absolute necessity in the sand. Its also just plain smart in all off-road conditions. Everyone should make an effort to do so along with your pre run prep, like disconnecting your sway bar and engaging your hubs or just shifting into 4WD.

CW

10.5 is a narrow tire for running in sand. another thing to consider in sand too is gearing. too low a gear (4lo) and you'll most likely just sink, especially with narrow tires. i have very limited sand experience, but that was the one thing i noticed. i 4lo, i sunk, in 4 hi, i drove. weird.

i can't really say much about airing down, cuz i NEVER do it. but i also have 12.5 tires on 10" rims, so my footprint is already pretty wide. i really should air down more tho