Mitsubishi J54 diesel Jeep

Well boys the addiction got me again. In the late 50's when Willys discontinued the CJ3B, Mitsubishi continued their own production of it designated J54. It  has dana 44/30 axles with 4.77 gears, but mitsubishi offered it with a diesel engine. I am now the proud owner of a 1979 Mitsubishi j54 jeep with the 4DR5 non-turbo Diesel and a 4 speed manual. It has 32,000 original km which is just shy of 20,000 miles. can't wait to start getting her cleaned up and start driving, 40mpg will be nice too. Right now the only plans are to add a roll bar, bikini top, and some new wheels and tires

26 year old cars can be imported with out having to be Federalized in the U.S.  Canada has a 15 year waiting period.

The 86 diesel MJ I got from Canada it was 30 years old, so it would have been OK to import, per customs.  But the truck was built in the U.S. anyway, so no issue either way.

its 25 years anything can be imported. This jeep has already been imported, bought it from a friend of mine who needed funds for a couple projects. it is currently at his parents place in Vermont so I am now trying to figure out logistics of getting it back to Alabama when I move back stateside in July. I also have a spare motor for it that has 52,000 km. i should be set. These motors have a good reputation here in Japan. Now i got to decide what from the fleet is getting the boot. 2 mjs, a yj, a 63 gmc, a rhd jdm 300zx and now this gem.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...