86 Diesel MJ to VW TDI conversion

As I previously posted, Matt installed a new master cylinder on Tuesday and it seemed OK.  But by Thursday afternoon the clutch was once again failing to properly disengage. 

So the car sat till today (Monday) when I got some help to bleed the clutch again.  Noticed that the fluid level was down in the master and their was air in the system when I started to bleed it. Brake fluid was gray in color - not clear.  But no particles in the fluid this time.  Flushed most/all of the old brake fluid out of the system, till the new, clean clear fluid was flowing out the bleeder valve.  Clutch is now operating properly - just like on Tuesday.  Plan for tomorrow is to use my little USB inspection camera and see what I see inside the bell housing.

Checked with the Jeep Dealer today for new Mopar clutch master and slave cylinders, both are NLA.  So wondering what brand to buy if I have replace the slave cylinder AGAIN.

My USB inspection camera had problems getting past the steel lines to inside the bell housing.  So I will be looking for a different inspection solution.

Here is a picture I took after bleeding the clutch the last time:

swQaTsL.jpg

Here is what it looks like today after a few days of light use:

C9jErTq.jpg

Clutch is still working fine right now. I am going to top off the master and drive it some more.

Yes, the color of the fluid has changed from clear to a gray color.

So far, I have not spotted the location of the leak.

Filled the truck with diesel for the first time since it arrived in California on Sunday.

20.5 gallons and about $72.   $3.56/gallon?

Odometer read 133000 km when I filled it.  I was filled in Michigan last September at about 132,165 km.

So that is 835 km or about 519 miles on 20.5 gallons = 25.3 mpg.   Now, remember that the tires on the car are 235/75 x 15 instead of the stock 195/75 x 15 and that this tank of fuel included a lot of engine testing and tuning.

Clutch is still an issue, but I am putting some miles on the truck and just watching the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.  Wishing and a hoping it is just air in the line and that I can eventually bleed it all out.

3 hours ago, The wandering FlederZiege said:

Just wondering what year is that 1.9?? 

AHU engine from a 1998 Jetta. top end and bottom end were inspected and refreshed with new, stock bearings, stronger head bolts and a fresh valve job.  Then the turbo was converted to a VNT unit from a 170 hp VW TDI engine. Custom engine tuning software from TDtuning.

1 hour ago, johnj92131 said:

AHU engine from a 1998 Jetta. top end and bottom end were inspected and refreshed with new, stock bearings, stronger head bolts and a fresh valve job.  Then the turbo was converted to a VNT unit from a 170 hp VW TDI engine. Custom engine tuning software from TDtuning.

98 eh prefect shouldn't be to hard to find thanks buddy 

On 4/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, johnj92131 said:

Ran into an issue with the AX-15 input shaft.  The pilot bearing area on the shaft is pitted rather deeply.  Even after cleaning with emery cloth is still did not look too hot.  Fortunately, Whitbread had an extra AX-15 input shaft left over from a previous customer who had to use a Toyota input shaft on his AX-15.  To change the input shaft required several hours labor to tear the trans down.  Once the trans was apart, Whitbread found water at the bottom of the case.  I had the transmission stored in my back yard for 3 months last fall/winter under a cheap Harbor Freight tarp.  So the water very likely came from the super heavy rain we got in November/December.  Also found the speedometer gear had fallen inside the trans case in all its travels from Charlotte to San Diego and back to Michigan.  Anyway the trans is back together and turns nicely now.

afo1nii.jpg

Transmission on the bench:

79ME4gk.jpg

Back together:

btayYIc.jpg

Finished engine with adapter plate, Jeep clutch and flywheel in place:

C0oyPOx.jpg

Just about ready to start trial fitting the new power train into the Comanche.

So what am wondering is what other transmissions can this engine use ?

4 hours ago, The wandering FlederZiege said:

So what am wondering is what other transmissions can this engine use ?

Take a look at this link:

http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/

This is where I purchased my engine/transmission adapter.  As you will see, he has lots of different adapters listed and several more that are not listed.  Because his adapters are 2 different "plates" bolted together, he can supply a number of different transmission to VW engine adapters reasonably easy.

What vehicle are you thinking about doing an engine conversion with???

On 5/1/2018 at 9:12 PM, johnj92131 said:

Take a look at this link:

http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/

This is where I purchased my engine/transmission adapter.  As you will see, he has lots of different adapters listed and several more that are not listed.  Because his adapters are 2 different "plates" bolted together, he can supply a number of different transmission to VW engine adapters reasonably easy.

What vehicle are you thinking about doing an engine conversion with???

Same as yours just wondering if this motor will expect a auto trans without problems 

6 hours ago, The wandering FlederZiege said:

Same as yours just wondering if this motor will expect a auto trans without problems 

Never did any research into using an automatic transmission, but there was a write up from a fellow on the TDI Club who was using a GM automatic with a TDI in a Jeep Wrangler.  I you want to do an Automatic, I would suggest you use the 2004-2005 2.0 litre engine rather than the 1.9.  The 2.0 has more torque and more power right out of the box.  Like 140 hp and 247 ft/lb. Plus a ecu tune will give it a very nice bump without changing the turbocharger or the injectors.

Picked up a nice set of 4 aluminum Jeep Cherokee wheels for $200 from Craigslist today.  Not the turbine wheels I would have liked, but very good looking set and the price was right.  Came with 235/75 x 15 tires.  Have not looked to see how old they are, but they have to be more recent that the 18 year old tires that are on the truck now.

qT0K6iZl.jpg

On 5/3/2018 at 11:53 PM, johnj92131 said:

Picked up a nice set of 4 aluminum Jeep Cherokee wheels for $200 from Craigslist today.  Not the turbine wheels I would have liked, but very good looking set and the price was right.  Came with 235/75 x 15 tires.  Have not looked to see how old they are, but they have to be more recent that the 18 year old tires that are on the truck now.

qT0K6iZl.jpg

And I just saw ur post literally an hour ago, I just bought a set of 16 moabs for my manche, so my turbines would go up for sale! San diegan here btw

On 5/11/2018 at 1:01 AM, Egm89 said:

And I just saw ur post literally an hour ago, I just bought a set of 16 moabs for my manche, so my turbines would go up for sale! San diegan here btw

Sent you a p.m. and yes could still be interested in the turbine wheels.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...

My son is driving about 125 miles per day round trip to work, so he has been using the truck and putting quite a few miles on it. So far the clutch leak is minimal. Only requires reasonable checking and no more than 2 top offs with DOT 3 brake fluid. But the long term solution is to change from an internal slave to an external slave cylinder. To that end, I have been checking Craigslist for the conversion parts. Think I have found them about an hour and a half away. So will be checking them out this weekend.

The stock 6 inch wide steel wheels had 18 year old 235/75 x 15 tires. Besides the age of the tires, they rubbed on the lower control arms at full lock. About 2 weeks ago I found a set of aluminumn 7 inch wide stock Jeep wheels with decent 8 year old 235/75 x 15 Goodyear Wranglers on Craigslist. I got all four of them for $200 and another $60 to have the old tires on the steel wheels disposed of. First thing we noticed with the new wheel and tire combination had no interference with the lower control arms at full lock.  So the new wheels have solved a couple of problems

The TDI engine is running great at this point. Odometer now shows 136569 km. That is about 4300 km (about 2675 miles) since the TDI engine conversion. My son has not been tracking the fuel consumption.  So no data there, unfortunately.   

Got the gauge pod for the A pillar a few weeks back, but I don't really like the look.  So I am exploring other mounting options like in the clock panel.

Sometime in July I plan to install my Krusty built rear bumper and my Drawtite trailer hitch.  Not sure I will be using the swing away tire carrier Krusty built for the bumper at this time.  Still to many other things to do to the truck. 

All for now.  More updates as progress is made.

• 5 weeks later...

Got the WilderNest shell on the Comanche for the first time Thursday.  It has been stored on the upper pad since I got it home in September, 2016.  Anita should be pleased that she no longer has to see the WilderNest when she looks out the window.

5zhYI8gh.jpg

Wood blocks and floor jack need to go back in their proper place today.  Then the cheap Harbor Freight saw horses will need to be repaired after all that time out in the weather.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Wednesday, Matt Whitbread was out here for other reasons. But he spent the day solving my clutch issues. We converted the internal slave cylinder to an external slave. Clutch now acts as expected.
Matt had changed the internal slave with a new one twice and both were Garbage.
Even the new external slave had multiple problems. Frist the NAPA external slave did not come with a bleeder screw. Wasted a couple of hours trying to locate one. Finally got a used external slave from a local Jeep salvage yard who waited half an hour after closing for us.
Just as we were a quarter mile away from the yard, we find the road closed by police and fire department because of a car on fire.
Finally make it to the salvage yard, buy a used external slave and go back home.
New slave is not working. Inspection finally shows new slave did not have bleeder hole drilled out from factory. Drill out hole by hand, install used bleeder. Finally, bleed clutch totally.
First test was delightful! Works just like it is supposed to. Amazing. 3 different, brand new slave cylinders with problems right out of the box.
Shifting is great now, but more testing needed.
Did I say it has been great watching Whitbread working on this project?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if I reported it here or not.  Over the last several months when my son was using the truck, it would  fail to restart for him on hot days.  He would turn the key and nothing would happen.  But, if he parked on a hill, the truck could be push started with no problem.  Once the weather cooled down, he could start the car normally.  He would bring the truck back to me, I would charge the battery over night.  Then the truck would start normally for me.  So I would give the truck back to him and all would be fine for a while.  This happened several times with the same results.

About August 12, the  "Ignition switch" issue raised it's head again 10 days ago. Son dropped truck at my house and it failed to restart. Battery was low, so recharged. That didn't help. But I could hear starter relay clicking, so it was not the ignition switch and looked like a bad starter.

Got the correct information and part number for a new replacement starter and had truck towed to shop for repair. Turns out they found a broken wire to the starter. Replaced the wire and truck now runs fine.

Except now the tach has stopped working when I got the truck back from the shop.  So I need to look for a loose wire when I get the time.

This last Saturday morning I took the Comanche on a 165 mile round trip.  Happy to report the truck ran just fine. No incidents at all. Transmission and the new external slave cylinder have been working exactly like they should.  Even the vent fan has finally started to work properly!  Guess all the driving and bumping around did some good after all.

I will fill up the tank, record the odometer reading on Tuesday and actually start a MPG check on Tuesday. Likely will take me more than a month to burn 20+ gallons of diesel. Should also have the truck weighted again now that I have the WilderNest camper shell mounted on the truck. Curious to see how much the WilderNest weighs.

Plans change.  Son brings 91 Comanche back Monday. Says it is now stalling every couple of minutes. So he takes the diesel and leaves me the problem again.

I have told him to just buy a new car and get away from the old car issue.  He seems to think it is cheaper to fix old cars than buy a new one.  Guess he is right when Dad pays the bills.

So I told him he gets to pay for the repair of the 91 or just do what he has to do in order to get a new truck.

So he will pay the $1500 to repair the Comanche.

Poor decision on his part